Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 05-30-2008, 11:54 AM   #21
k3mp

Send a message via AIM to k3mp

Let's talk diesel.... I bought a 2004 Duramax 4 years ago to pull my 5'er....fuel was just a little over 2.50/gal then.just put only 10.08 gallons in the truck last night and it was $50.00, (4.94 gal) that would take me about 100 miles towing can't even get across the state of Pa for less than $100.00 anymore...put almost 40K towing in the 5 years that I have my 5'er, but this year we will take a break and save up for next year...and like most said it will be shorter trips and longer stays...there are many Army Corp of Engineering campgrounds that are great and reasonable..lets enjoy the state and fed parks...you know that the private campgrounds will have to raise rates also...Everyone have a nice summer
Rig - Icom 706, Ant - Comet UHV-6, LDG Z-100 tuner
https://www.enter.net/~k3mp
k3mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 07:25 PM   #22
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Another expert says we have peaked

And the Government is now investigating to see if there is some shady dealing going on
(DUH, You bet)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:09 AM   #23
KC1BUD

The real sad thing is that if we could drill here in this country, according to the experts, we would have over a 60 year supply without having to import oil. Long enough for them to work on and find alternatives.

Just in recent years they have found big fields in Alaska, Wyoming, and the Dakotas. This does't even count the gulf and both coasts. There is coal and coal shale that can be converted to gasoline that can extend this even further. Why are we in this mess??
What is happening in this country when it comes to energy independence is almost treasonous.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #24
W6DCS

The latest is oil reached a new high, so either I will wake up in the morning and see higher prices or will by Monday. At this rate I won't be buying another rig for the truck this year if at all.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
W6DCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #25
w7wv

Well it's getting there!
Crude went down $3.77 the other day but I guess it was a fluke as it closed today at $139 per barrel setting yet another new record which will result in higher prices yet!
I am going to have to post a guard on my cars and RV pretty quick.
I hear they are using battery powered drills now to drill your locking cap or worse your hose to your tank or the tank itself.
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 01:24 AM   #26
KC1BUD

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mp View Post
Let's talk diesel.... I bought a 2004 Duramax 4 years ago to pull my 5'er....fuel was just a little over 2.50/gal then.just put only 10.08 gallons in the truck last night and it was $50.00, (4.94 gal) that would take me about 100 miles towing can't even get across the state of Pa for less than $100.00 anymore...put almost 40K towing in the 5 years that I have my 5'er, but this year we will take a break and save up for next year...and like most said it will be shorter trips and longer stays...there are many Army Corp of Engineering campgrounds that are great and reasonable..lets enjoy the state and fed parks...you know that the private campgrounds will have to raise rates also...Everyone have a nice summer
Part of the reason that diesel is higher than gasoline is the taxes are higher on diesel. The federal tax on Diesel is 24 cents and the federal tax on gasoline is 18 cents. That doesn't even take into account what the states tax levels are. someone in Washington didn't feel that it was right that diesel owners paid less than those that bought gasoline.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 02:13 AM   #27
W6DCS

The story I liked on the news was a gas station that raised the price at the pump 4 cents and hour for 10 hours today, for a total of 40 cents. What amazed the media - no fuel trucks delivered, so how come the price of what was already there was increasing.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
W6DCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:46 AM   #28
w7wv

Becuase they know you are coming!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:59 PM   #29
TXiceman

Tom, I know how you feel. I don't know what is controlling these prices...politicians claim it is the free market at work...I don;t think so...but it is sure messing with the world economy.

Just wait until you get your electric bills this summer to heap onto the already outrageous gasoline and diesel. I want to find a hole and crawl in.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 09:31 AM   #30
w7wv

OK, this AM the news says that the national average is just over $4 per gallon.
This is not helping the budget any
Old 06-08-2008, 09:39 AM   #31
Richard Stouffer

OK, here’s what I think:
There is a price level at which dramatic changes in consumption will begin significantly suppressing demand. I don’t know what that number is. We have already cut back on RV trips and we bought a hybrid in January. But that’s not the type of change I’m talking about.
Maybe at $10 a gallon I mothball the RV and make do with one car instead of two and only use it when I can’t get where I’m going without mass transportation. Maybe trucking companies will piggyback everything when diesel hit $10 and only use their trucks for local delivery.
But even if that happens all over the U.S. and we cut consumption by 50% it probably won’t be enough. Foreign countries will have to reach the point where they stop subsidizing the cost of oil for their citizens. When that, and a lot of other sensible conservation and good fiscal policy decision are made, we will see the influence of reduced demand.
That’s one way it could happen, but there is also the chance that somewhere in the not too distant future average investors begin thinking that oil futures are a great way to get rich quick. When everybody starts to believe that, and we all bet the majority of our 401K’s on oil futures, two things will happen. First, there will be a significant, short term increase in the price of oil futures. Then the second phase begins: the speculators who started the run up start to harvest their yields by dumping everything they have into the 401K market. When the 401K investors realize what’s happening they panic and oil futures take a precipitous drop to say $8.00 a barrel. It will make the dot com bust look like a picnic.
So, do what you can to conserve, but also tell everybody you know to buy oil futures.
Richard Stouffer is offline   Reply With Quote