Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-07-2017, 06:57 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Hurricane Irma

Are you packing up Carl, head west young man Northbound traffic on I-75 is at a crawl, don't come that way, besides we may get some very strong winds even here in Atlanta. When I first moved down here we had hurricane winds (75mph) on the west side of Atlanta, don't remember the name of it but was living with my son at the time and every home in his neighborhood had roof damage from damaged trees except him. Road and streets were blocked from limbs but a truck load of guys with chain saws showed up and cleared the streets enough to drive through, what a sight.

And John, I will assume you have left the place you were staying at south of Savannah. Travel safe guys, don't head north, it won't get you out of danger, go west..

The interviewed a guy from FL that checked into the Atlanta Motor Speedway campground, he said he had a reservation for a spot in Nashville but didn't think he would live long enough to get there because the traffic was so bad so he was happy to have a spot on the south side of Atlanta.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

I will most likely head west tomorrow. Traffic on I-10 not too bad, will be heavier tomorrow of course. Probably go 100-200 miles for a couple days. All depends on tomorrow's path prediction.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:26 PM   #3
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Went west Sunday (150 miles on I-10 to Crestview FL). Moderate traffic on I-10.

Visited USAF Armaments Museum at Eglin. Small museum, but enjoyable and interesting. The M1 carbine on display has the operating-rod handle broken off! The M2 and M3 carbines, on the other hand, are intact.

Drove back Monday, more traffic, sometimes very slow but always moving. I passed hundreds of huge bucket trucks convoying into Florida from as far away as North Carolina, probably coming straight from Texas without going home. Those guys are heroes.

Irma had broken one (one!) tree limb off its tree, no damage to any RV or anything else that I could see, but considerable mess to rake up. The power didn't even go out, although Internet was down until just a few minutes ago. The food in my freezer is still frozen, and I had a nice lunch at home.

All's well.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:53 PM   #4
Radio
Administrator

All my antennas are either down or damaged.

We lost power for about 3 hours, got to try out the generator i bought a a few years back for a blizzard that never came. In fact, it hasn't snowed once here since I bought the thing. Put fuel and oil in it first time and cranked right up on the 2nd pull.

The neighbors mailbox went down the street.

Other than that, things went pretty well here.

My antennas needed some work anyway. It won't cost much to get it all fixed, but it will take some effort. I need to get a tree trimmed back out of the way first. Then I'll have an antenna party.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:11 PM   #5
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
no damage to any RV or anything else that I could see, but considerable mess to rake up.

All's well.
Yeah my yard is ankle deep in leaves and twigs and other vegetative debris. I'm just going to run the lawn mover over it all.

I have two large brush piles I have been collecting for some time with the intent of burning them. Now I can blame them on Irma, instead of my inopportune schedule.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #6
electricflyer

We didn't get any wind here at my house. Rain was mostly light with a couple brief heavier showers. I must have got lucky. I listened to the Skywarn net and the heavy weather seemed to be everywhere except the NW side of Atlanta.
2014 Palomino Puma 25RL - TV 2011 F-150 SuperCrew 5.0
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote