Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #1
One Country Boy

Default TS Debby

Debby turned out to be a little more then the NWS expected for our area. Very glad to see the much needed rains here. Some in our area are getting gusts of 60 mph and a lot of our county is and a neighboring county to the east are without power. We still have commercial power here but some have been without since around 6AM today.

The storm surge in the southern end of our county (Gulf County, FL) has been unbelievable for such a small storm. When I say small I mean not so serious. The wind field grew tremendously overnight. The beach erosion along the coast is appreciable.

This techy stuff is great. A friend and fellow ham who is also a Deputy Sheriff has been sending photos and videos via Face Book and I've been forwarding them on. I'm about to go purchase some non-ethynol fuel for the generator. I suspect we will eventually lose power here.

Some may be familiar with St. George's Island because of a large state park there. The entire island has been without power since early this morning.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

Jim...if you have time and power, some pics and links would be great.

Keep your head down!

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

Can anybody post HF emergency & welfare net frequencies for the areas affected by TS Debby?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:37 AM   #4
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Hurricane Net & maritime on 14.300
Going beyond that , see the below link.
http://www.qsl.net/w5rin/announcemen...requencies.pdf
Old 06-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #5
One Country Boy

I don't think any of the Florida Nets have been activated. If they are, 3950 KHz is the main freq for Florida and 7242 as an alternate. Even though they may not be activated, many of the guys hang out there anyway.

-MORE - to come....

Old 06-26-2012, 07:54 AM   #6
One Country Boy

Here's a link to an article in the Panama City News Herald concerning TS Debby and our area. It may be of interest to some of you.

http://www.newsherald.com/articles/j...runt-port.html

Old 06-26-2012, 08:24 AM   #7
One Country Boy

Hi Folks....

We've been lucky here at our QTH. We lost power Sunday evening about 8PM CT. Just a little after sunset. The power was off for about 3 1/2 hours. Most of our rains came yesterday (Monday) with it sometimes raining as much as 1 1/2 inch per hour. I have measured, since Friday, 11 8/10 inches of rain. The last taken about 8 AM today. The skies are clearing here now. We still have some constant winds of about 12 mph. We mat get a little more rain but I don't think it will be anything serious.

The northern Gulf of Mexico (in our area), known as the "Big Bend Area" and "Apalachee Bay" are for the most part very shallow. When a storm approaches from the direction Debby came from, the winds blow the tides north toward the coast. The waters being shallow and the excess having no where to go, piles up into a surge and causes most of the damage and dangers. This happening along with the tremendous amount of rainfall creates serious flooding and beach erosion. We certainly needed the rain from the drought situation but a good slow drizzle would have worked better. It's OK though, we'll take whatever we can get.

We live on a fairly steep incline with a creek to the rear of our property. Luckily for us, all the water runs off into the creek and does not stand and cause flooding conditions. Many of the residents in the Tallahassee area over to Lake City and Live Oak are experiencing flooding conditions at this time. I spoke with a friend in Live Oak this morning that had to leave his home last night. The water was about to enter his home.

The last I heard about 35,000 people were without power. One ham operator that I speak with in the Carrabelle area told me yesterday he and others in his area had been without commercial power for three days.

I have a few photos I'll upload. Most were taken by a friend and fellow ham that is a Deputy Sheriff and was working along the coast in the south end of our county last Saturday.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:45 AM   #8
One Country Boy

Here are a few photos... The top is Indian Pass boat ramp on Apalachicola Bay. Next is Indian Pass Campgrounds and RV Park. Thirteen Mile Seafood on Apalachicola Bay. This is where many of the Apalachicola Oysters are brought in from harvesting and shipped out. Second from the bottom is the Gulf of mexico at Cape San Blas. In the foreground are concrete barriers, a futile attempt to stop some of the erosion. The old Coast Guard station was here and the Cape San Blas lighthouse is in danger of being destroyed. The bottom photo is what was once the bridge from Eastpoint to St. George's Island. The old bridge was being used as a fishing pier. This portion of it was destroyed when a barge broke loose and drifted into the bridge,

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IndianPass Boat Ramp.jpg (60.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IndianPassCampground.jpg (38.6 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 13mileseafood.jpg (26.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg lighthouse.jpg (25.8 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg oldStGeorgeIsBridge.jpg (15.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-26-2012, 08:58 AM   #9
One Country Boy

More pics .........

Top pic is Posey's Restaurant at Panacea, FL and the bottom is Indian Pass Trading Post and Oyster Bar.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg [email protected] (23.3 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg rawbar.jpg (30.0 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-26-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Jim:
Looks like you better wet your "Water Wings" out, or move "IN-Land " a bit !
And I was just going to ask you to send me some shrimp...... maybe later.

Be Careful down there, been watching the storm on the Elgin A.F.B. radar looks like a pretty good blow "offical" or not .

73, John
Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #11
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Eeee -- I used to keep my airplane at Panacea airport. Maybe I'm lucky that I can no longer afford to own an airplane and haven't had one since 1994. If Posey's is flooded, so is the airport. A shame; Posey's was a fine place to eat.
Old 06-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #12
One Country Boy

Well Debby is out of here... Nothing but Florida sunshine today and 94 degrees.

Carl, Posey's has been closed and vacant for several years now. The economy got to it I can only assume. I know the Panacea airport you mentioned. That's about 65 - 70 miles via the highway from my QTH. I would imagine the field itself is or was under water. The surge was the big thing along the coastal areas.

Live Oak, Lake City area is the hardest hit of all in Florida. if you've been watching the Weather Channel, I suppose you know that by now. I have an old high school chum in Live Oak, his house has about 4 ft of water in it. Reports indicate that the rivers in that area probably will not crest for a week. I measured 11.8 inches total rain here, some of those in the Live Oak area got 24 to 26 inches. That's a lot of rain in a short while.

All is well here, thanks for your concerns.