Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 06-11-2012, 08:12 PM   #1
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS
Default Kooler corn

A Friend sent this to me , I have no reason to doute him but have not tried it myself as yet.
Hope the pix transferred but if not the text is clear enough.
73, John

Thought that this would be a good one to pass on for those of us who like to entertain large groups of people.
The Best Way to Cook Corn on the Cob for a Crowd?
It's Cooler Corn

cooler-corn.jpgPhotograph by Scott DeSimon

Am I the only person who hasn't heard of "cooler corn"?

As an obsessive food nerd, you'd expect that I would have at least heard of it, but over the weekend I was blindsided by the simple genius of this method for cooking loads of corn on the cob perfectly.

I was hepped to it while visiting my family in Maine. Short story: We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used the lobster pot to cook them all, but the lobster pot was busy steaming lobster.Then my sister, a capable Maine cook with years of camping experience says "let's do cooler corn!" Before I can ask "what the hell is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped clean, then filled with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over the corn and the top closed.

Then nothing.

When we sat down to dinner 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind was blown. And I'm told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours.

Turns out, Cooler Corn is pretty well known among the outdoorsy set But for those of us who avoid tents as much as possible, it's perfect for large barbecues and way less of mess than grilling. In fact, I may even buy another cooler just so I'm ready for next summer. Now that I'm in the know.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #2
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Sounds like a great idea John! Never heard of that before either. How many quarts was the cooler? I suppose it's just large enough for two dozen ears. Thanks for sharing.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #3
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Not sure Andy, from what I saw in the pix which I couldn't get to load here , looked like a pretty good sized cooler (like one you could also use for a seat).
I would think all you would need it one big enough to hold whatever amount of corn + the water + a little bit of "head room" for the steam to work.
Trial and error , but at least not too expensive to try.
73, John
Old 06-12-2012, 12:00 PM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Something I found elsewhere (community.compuserve.com/cooks) was a neat way to shuck cooked corn,

The expert in the video took two ears of corn, Nuked them in the microwave for 4 minutes (2 min per ear) (read on) and then wearing OVE-Gloves (mandatory) took the ear and cut off the Bottom part, roughly the bottom ring of kernels (All of the "Stem" portion, cut through the cob).. Then grabbing the tassle end, shakes the ear out of the husk, SILK FREE.

He did not soak the corn or anything.

I soaked it, Grilled it, Cut it (Did not forget the gloves) and one ear came out just like the demo, (Easy) the other was a bit harder to extract the ear and had ONE strand of slik still attached. not bad.. I'm going to keep doing it that way.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
KF5BET

WOW...I gotta go do some research on this now! Sounds way cool (errr I mean hot....whatever)
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote