Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #1
KF5BET

Default Anyone have thoughts on Palamino?

We went to the RV show here in Lafayette yesterday and walked our legs off. There was a HUGE assortment of rigs to look at. Everything from pop ups to custom diesel pushers.

We really liked the Jayco Eagle. They had a bunk house model with the bunks up front and the master in the back. 35' length. Nice looking rig. The girls really liked the idea of the bunks up front.

Last night, while cruising the internet, I saw a Palomino Sabre Silhouette series that has almost the same floor plan but about 10 grand less.

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything about them. They have kind of escaped my radar.

The wife said we might be interested...
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
One Country Boy

We've owned a couple of Eagle 5th wheels Galen.... Loved 'em both. Not familiar with the Palsmino though. I have to say, the Jayco stuff is usually built real well.

Old 03-19-2012, 09:11 PM   #3
TXiceman

The Palomino is typical of most entry level RVs. If you are wanting to keep in the entry to mid level trailers, I would recommend Jayco. Thay have an overall good reputation. From the build quality, I don't care for Thor or Forest river products.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
One Country Boy

I have to agree with Ken... The Jaycos have to good reputation and normally good warranty service. We were pleased with the two Eagle 5th wheels we had. There were minor things as in everything that need some correction. I would go back with a Jayco any time. Much more please with them then the new Fleetwood Motor Home we bought. There is also a step or two above the Eagle. I don't know what the line is right now or the names, but a step up from the Eagle. I sometimes wish I had our last Jayco Eagle back and my F250. Jayco is a good quality product unless they have changed since '08 when we bought our last one. Most have solid wood cabinets (both of ours did). Ours even had a floor safe in it. Just my .....

Let me say also, we bought our last two Eagles at Burton Campers, a few miles south of Birmingham, AL. We've delt with several dealerships over the years and these are by far the best we've ever delt with. They made sure, each time we drove away that the truck and fiver were level. They went way ahead of any other dealership when it came to safety concerns.

Old 03-20-2012, 06:03 PM   #5
Radio
Administrator

I did a little research and found that Palomino is a free standing manufacturer with several of their own product lines. They are not owned by anyone else as best I could determine.

I have only seen/been inside of their entry level or lightweight lines and it's been a few years. In my estimation, I got more for my money with my Rockwood vs Palominos Puma line.

However, the Sabre line seems to be several notches up ( and more trailer than I can pull ) and would likely compare well with some of Jayco's offerings.

It would be worth finding a dealer to have a look. I will recommend however that you purchase from RVWholesalers.com. They carry that line. That's where we bought our Rockwood, and drove all the way from Atlanta to pick it up.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
KF5BET

Thanks for the input.

We really like the Eagle by Jayco. The Palomino offers the same (or almost the same) floor plan. We are still in the infancy of "looking" Hopefully by the end of the year we will be able to pull the trigger on one.

Our little Skyline Nomad is getting smaller by the month as the girls are getting taller by the month. We have really enjoyed our little camper, but it is definitely time to upgrade.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote