Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 04-28-2013, 05:55 PM   #1
N3LYT

Default 17M antenna

Awhile back I built a rotatable dipole for 10,12.and 15 meters yesterday I found some more aluminum! So it's now up to 17 meters! Pretty well maxed out now it is a hand full to put up. the elements slide inside one another and are etched for each band. The mast is fiberglass poles just about 26' and guyed so the dipole and the mast are just about the same size. This afternoon I tuned it up and enjoyed a glass of wine and ran a bunch of portable DX!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg big antenna.jpg (36.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg nice a comfy (1).jpg (41.1 KB, 35 views)
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Looks like a great job! I've had an HF rig installed in my MH for over a year-and-a-half now and haven't got an antenna on it yet, or anyway an antenna that works. The older I get, the lazier I get. Maybe you'll inspire me.

I assume the wine was a nice Forster Jesuitengarten Trockenbeerenauslese, or maybe (if you prefer reds) a fine Chateau Lafite (AKA Chateau Lafite Rothschild).
Old 04-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
N3LYT

Ha my tastes are a good bit cheaper then that! $9 on sale at Hanaford's for 2, Long Lake Cabernet Sauvignon (CA) I have a mount I made for my screw driver antenna that is what I use if I don't have the room for the big one all though it does draw a crowd when I put it up.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Not only a good bit cheaper, but nearly as good. Many California wines have been underrated for a long time, but in recent years are gaining the respect they've always deserved.

I'm thinking about a KJ7U screwdriver Larry's Antennas which seems very sturdy.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:36 PM   #5
N3LYT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
Not only a good bit cheaper, but nearly as good. Many California wines have been underrated for a long time, but in recent years are gaining the respect they've always deserved.

I'm thinking about a KJ7U screwdriver Larry's Antennas which seems very sturdy.
Well I made the mistake of buying a Workman 3/8 24 mount it was made of cheap cast brass nicely chrome plated it snapped off and the LiL Tarheel landed in the street as luck would have it my friend was behind me and picked it up, other then a bit of asphalt rash it was fine now that's rugged! Here is the new mount I made so that will never happen again. Even after I used a ball mount it flopped around like a fish. The black stuff is Lexan painted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg antenna mount.jpg (41.2 KB, 28 views)
Old 04-29-2013, 09:07 PM   #6
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Beautiful workmanship!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:03 AM   #7
N3LYT

Thank you. I have found Lexan and aluminum machine very well with a router. I have seen huge screw drive antennas mounted on a 3/8 stud and after watching my little one flop around I just could not imagine how those big ones survived with all that shaking that can't be good for them. The only thing on mine that moves now is the whip.