Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-19-2016, 10:51 AM   #1
ke0me

Default RFI noise mitigation

On Hamnation episode 239, they mentioned a RFI solution using a counterpoise.

The ham in question lived on a second floor, so an earth ground lead was a difficult proposition.
His solution was to make an accurately measured 1/4 wave wire counterpoise connected to the ground lead of the radio.

that solved his rfi problem. Question is, would that possibly help the S9 noise level I'm getting on my 2nd floor apartment?
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke0me View Post
Question is, would that possibly help the S9 noise level I'm getting on my 2nd floor apartment?
It depends on the source of the noise.

I have known hams who got rid of S9 noise in various ways. One had a serious noise problem that went away when someone (unknown ) mysteriously poisoned his neighbor's dog. Another had to pay a divorce lawyer, but eventually got rid of the noise.

If your noise is electrical, a counterpoise may help, or not. You can determine an answer experimentally, at small cost and small effort. Buy 17 feet of wire (I'm assuming you have the noise on 20 meters) and strip one end. Then screw it down on the ground terminal. Then listen. My next-door neighbor's grandkid could do that, and she's only four. But I think she'd have trouble paying the two bucks or so for the wire.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Radio
Administrator

I am blessed that my home shack is in the basement.

But, I had a major reduction in noise when I grounded all of my equipment together with short pieces of coax braid I had salvaged and made into straps. These were connected by hose clamps to a copper pipe that runs the length of the radio table. Then earth ground is connected to the pipe. This is all in the ARRL Operators Manual.

Also, vertical antennas are inherently noisy, because a lot of noise is vertically polarized, such as lightning.

You might do a little Sherlock Holmes thing. I found several older computers that were spewing noise via mouse and keyboard cables. Used ferrite blocks to cure that. Try listening to the noise while turning off stuff in the apartment. You'd be surprised what could be making noise.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 05:23 PM   #4
ke0me

Carl,

Oops, yes, this is electrical noise.
I know its not the dog, he more resembles a dirty mop than a noise generator ( unless someone knocks at the door).

My original guess is that the noise is due to poor/non-exisitent ground. However, since we are in the apartment only until the end of May, I want to focus on working on the RV grounding as primary. The apartment station is very temporary, so its more of a spare time activity until we get back on the road.

I will try isolating the other electrical equipment and installing a counterpoise and see if those make any improvement.
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 03-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
ke0me

Default ps

I forgot to mention, all the individual components (radio, PS, tuner, etc) are grounded individually to a grounding bar in the "radio box", then one ground lead to the hot water heating system copper pipe, which is the only ground I can find at present.
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 03-19-2016, 06:34 PM   #6
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
... the hot water heating system copper pipe, which is the only ground I can find at present.
Don't forget the third wire (safety ground) in an outlet. It may be what you need - and maybe not.

You can find out whether that copper pipe is grounded by measuring the resistance between it and the safety ground. First, though, measure voltage between them, just to be sure you won't zap the ohmmeter if the outlet is miswired, which sometimes it is..
Old 03-20-2016, 09:04 AM   #7
ke0me

Carl,

Tnx, I'll add that to the list of things to do.

The apartment was built in the 1970's, so I will start seeing what they have for basic wiring.

I do notice they have done some upgrades, like GFI outlets in bath and kitchen, so maybe its adequate.

PS- just like at campgrounds, I checked each outlet with my 3-light tester to verify the wiring polarity and ground connection, all was OK.
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 03-20-2016, 02:59 PM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Quote:
Question is, would that possibly help the S9 noise level I'm getting on my 2nd floor apartment?
As asked... There can be only one answer.. YES it POSSIBLY might help.

However that is not a guarantee. Depends on the source of the noise... For example.. I recall the ham who was staying for a time across from the Hotel Dixie.. Well a couple (3) letters had burned out on the sign so the big neon sign read Hotel D X.

Alas.. the sign was generating enough RFI so you could not hear yourself think radio wise on the upper floors.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #9
N3LYT

I don't think an electrical ground would be a good choice you may end up with very unhappy neighbors.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 06:21 PM   #10
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3LYT View Post
I don't think an electrical ground would be a good choice you may end up with very unhappy neighbors.
That's surely possible; it depends on the design of the electrical distribution in the building.

Maybe it depends on how well you like the neighbors.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:54 AM   #11
ke0me

Default neighbors

Well, I haven't met too many of the neighbors, most of them work, are gone early and back late.

However, someone is always burning "incense" or something as the same smell is always in the stairwell.

This is Colorado after all, perhaps they have a "medical condition" that requires them to smoke their "medication". Sarcasm intended.

So maybe they don't really care about a little RFI.

I operate very infrequently anyway, have been too busy with studying for Extra (glad that is done now!) and part time work.

So, now maybe I can relax a bit and operate during the day when most neighbors are gone to work.
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 03-21-2016, 11:53 AM   #12
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

If the neighbors annoy by turning up their TVs too loud, and there's a community TV antenna system, you could cure that noise with about 100w of RF into the shared coax for a little while. But probably they're all on Comcast, and certainly you wouldn't want to wipe that out. Would you?
Old 03-21-2016, 02:48 PM   #13
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
This is Colorado after all, perhaps they have a "medical condition" that requires them to smoke their "medication". Sarcasm intended.

So maybe they don't really care about a little RFI.
You think they wouldn't mind getting a little buzz on then?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 05:05 PM   #14
ke0me

Default the "C"

2 things

I previously worked for "C", but not very long, we agreed to part ways amiably, they paid me money and I promised to never come back (called severance pay).

Right now, "C" is the only provider I could get for wired internet at the apartment for 6 months. The local phone company (name withheld) said they didn't have capacity at the node and didn't feel like going to any expense to serve me. They are noted for their customer service.

So for TV reception, we either go to the kids house who have the big expensive cable package, or use the amplified antenna I bought at Target to receive a few channels, all of which are at least 40-60 miles away.
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 03-22-2016, 10:49 AM   #15
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Grounds.. Bob heil often puts adapters on his equipment plug so he can "lift" the safety ground... George Thomas adds Grounding straps (Wide copper straps) to a common bus to earth ground.

Two differeing viewpoints... I believe in a single ground for all hardware, No loops.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 09:46 PM   #16
ke0me

in traditional telecom offices, the ground system was "star", i.e. all grounds ran separately to a single point ground, and the ground field was installed and tested to meet a required standard with a ground resistance test unit by Megger (current price $843). Never did the test myself, but saw it performed several times.

However, if it was considered a "radio site", then it had a ground halo ring around the ceiling of the radio area, with multiple grounds fields outside.

If I recall, the instructions for grounding were probably about 200 pages long of how to perform all the required work.

I don't plan to go to the same extent as that (and I can't afford it either).

My feeling is that you need to be consistent in the method you apply, and test the result one change at a time (as noted earlier).
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 03-23-2016, 01:31 AM   #17
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
with a ground resistance test unit by Megger
That seems strange. Every Megger I ever saw was a device for measuring very high resistances (many megohms -- thus the name Megger). I don't see what use they'd be in measuring the low resistances of ground systems.

I owned a Megger for a number of years, but a few years ago I gave it to an old friend (Jim Haynie, W5JBP, a former president of ARRL and a good guy), who probably still has it. I hadn't used it in a long time, and Jim had an immediate use for it.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #18
ke0me

Default megger

For those not familiar with the brand name, here is info from the website:
megger.us

For over 100 years, Megger has been the premier provider of electric test equipment and measuring instruments for electrical power applications. The company was founded in 1889 in England as Evershed & Vignoles and over the years has been known by several names, most recently, AVO International. In 2002, the company decided to change its name to Megger, which is what many people have called it all along. Today, Megger enjoys an outstanding reputation in the areas of insulation testing, low resistance and ground resistance testing, and a wide variety of electrical contractor maintenance tools such as multimeters, portable appliance testers and clamp-on meters.

So, they cover the spectrum from low resistance to high, hence the nickname "megger" as related to the testing done.
2014 Silverado 2500
Old 03-23-2016, 08:49 AM   #19
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Good old ORR. Learn a new truth every other day, and in the in-between days find out that what I've known for decades ain't so.
Old 09-14-2016, 09:57 PM   #20
ke0me

Default Noise still here

After suffering for many months trying to intermittently tackle my S9 noise problem, I'm taking a step back.

I want to try to identify what type of noise it is , where it's coming from, and do a thorough and systematic process to eliminate it.

Station- IC-7200, Alinco dmv-330 power supply, tvi filter, MFJ tuner
Each piece has a ground lead from the ground terminal to a common ground point, then that point goes on a single wire to the outside ground, a 4 ft copper ground rod.

I'm in a ground floor apartment right now, the ground run is about 10-12 ft from radio to rod.

Power supply ac cable has snap on Toroid filters installed

The noise sounds like a constant "static" at S-9 to 20 over.( with all noise filters and blankers ON)
All the time
All hf bands
Inside the rv
Outside the rv
Inside 2 different apartments
Using long wire antenna
Using Alpha vertical on tripod
Using tar heel II mounted on balcony

Random ideas ( some will seem strange) tried with no success:
Used 2 prong plug in AC outlet
Turned off cable modem, phone chargers
Turned off fluorescent and led lites
Lifted ground from ground rod, no change!

At this point I'm getting frustrated.

Would appreciate any suggestions to start identifying where noise comes from.
2014 Silverado 2500