Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-09-2008, 06:52 AM   #1
One Country Boy

Question Air Bags for Ford F250 ?

I'm considering putting a set of air bags on our F250 Ford. Mostly to improve the ride. The rear is not overloaded but, the ride sure can be bumpy at times. I put a set on my old F150, when I was towing a smaller 5th wheel. It greatly improved the ride and performance. Anyone know of a good aftermarket brand to use. The truck is new and I want a set that will last us a few years. Any recommendations ?

Thanks,

Old 09-09-2008, 06:42 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

I put some Timbrens on my F-150.

Doesn't interfere with the ride unloaded, a little stiff when loaded, but you don't ever have to do anything to them. And not too much money.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:53 AM   #3
TXiceman

My F350 dually has the Timbrens from when we pulled the large 5er. Now we do not need them, but they are there when we laod the truck heavy. I had air bags on the previous dually and they were OK, but you have to keep a minimum of 5 or 10 psig in them and then air them up when loaded. The Timbrens, are ther and never have to have air added. They are only loaded when the truck is loaded.

ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #4
One Country Boy

Thumbs up

OK, Timbrens it will be.

I don't recall the name of the ones I had on the F150. I think I paid about $300 installed, that was several years ago. I had to maintain a minimum of 5 lbs I think it was, even when unloaded. They maxed out at 110 lbs (I think) and I ran around 50 - 55 lbs when loaded. I'm going to get a set without the onboard compressor, that's just something else (in my opinion) to tear up. I plan to put a small compressor onboard the 5'er anyway.

Thanks much for the input fellers, it is much appreciated.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:31 AM   #5
Radio
Administrator

A point of understanding...

I did not put air bags on my F-150. The Timbrens I refer to are big rubber helper springs that just bolt on the frame in place of the rubber axle bumper stop thing. They float about 1.5" above the axle when unloaded and contact the axle when loaded.

No moving parts, nothing to adjust or leak or tear up when the truck is on the service rack as is the case with some, not all, airbags.

Some people don't like the way Timbrens ride when loaded.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #6
One Country Boy

Ok... I understand now. Duh....... Thanks

Old 12-12-2008, 06:02 AM   #7
One Country Boy

Post Firestone Air Bags

I had the Firestone air bags installed on the Ford F250 a couple of weeks ago. I did not opt for the type with the onboard compressor. Rather the type that you manually air and decompress while vehicle is not in operation. I plan to haul a small compressor in the 5'er anyway so it will be no problem.

The truck did not need the bags because of being overloaded. It leveled out good when the 5th wheel was loaded. I did the install in hopes of improving the ride and performance, when loaded. I have not had a chance to tow the 5'er since the install but, can already tell an improvement in the ride, even unloaded. It rides much smoother, no bounce in the rear.

On my old truck, when towing over a road or bridge with expansion joints, there would be a lot of bounce in the rear and it was almost like the pin was slipping back and forth in the slot. When I installed those bags it removed all that for a very smooth ride. I hope these will do the same. Also, on the old rig, when I took my foot off the excelerator, the vehicle would quickly slow and feel as though it was weighted in the rear. Installation of the air bags relieved that and caused the unit to coast smoothly when decelerating. I'm hoping these new bags will accomplish the same. Will let you know after my first tow.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:18 PM   #8
One Country Boy

Tomorrow will be the first time I've towed the 5'er since installing the Firestone Airbags on the rear suspension.

The specs say they will handle from 10 to 100 psi. When not loaded or towing you should maintain a minimum of 10 psi in them. I pumped 'em up to 58 lbs on each side. They lifted the rear of the truck abit. I think it will improve the ride and take some of the shock off both the RV and the truck when going down the interstate hitting those concrete expansion joints. Interstate 10 sure has some very bad areas in our part of the country.

Will give a report later on how things worked out.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
TXiceman

I had the Firestone bags on the rearof the previous F350 and used about 20 psi when towing. It was just enough to add a little spring rate, but not to really lift the truck. If I ran the pressure up over about 30# the ride was rougher.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:32 AM   #10
One Country Boy

You are correct Ken. I had to reduce the pressure down to about 28 psi. It still rides sort of tight. I think I will drop the pressure even lower for the tow home. It did make a huge difference though on Interstate 10 when traveling over those continuous expansion joints. Thanks for the comments.

One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:15 PM   #11
TXiceman

The last time I pulled a trailer on I-10 from Houston to Orlando, it was like driving on an old fashion rub board.

Ken
Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
One Country Boy

It's not changed much Ken. Repairs have been made in a few places. It appears they have gotten away from the old concrete with expansion joints and gone to aspault.

Jim

One Country Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:06 AM   #13
W7PSK

Im having a set of Firestones put in today. When I get ready to pull later what would be a good Air Pressure to start with ????

Experts ?
W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
One Country Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7PSK View Post
Im having a set of Firestones put in today. When I get ready to pull later what would be a good Air Pressure to start with ????

Experts ?
I'm certainly no expert, still experimenting with mine. I'll do my second pull with them tomorrow, headed home. I've got about 28psi in them currently and I'm going to reduce to about 20 lbs. They appeared a little tight on the pull up here.

It totally depends on the vehicle you are using and the suspension already set up. I'm towing with an '08 Ford F250. It handles the weight OK, but installed the bags to smooth the ride a little.

What are you using the airbags on ?

Old 01-24-2009, 12:48 PM   #15
W7PSK

99 Dodge 2500HD Quad Cab LB.

It has the extra over spring but the Trailer set it down about 6 inches and I wanted to prop it back up and mostly I heard the smooth out the bumpies some

Scotty W7PSK
W7PSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 AM   #16
TXiceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by W7PSK View Post
99 Dodge 2500HD Quad Cab LB.

It has the extra over spring but the Trailer set it down about 6 inches and I wanted to prop it back up and mostly I heard the smooth out the bumpies some

Scotty W7PSK

Scotty,

To drop it 6 inches, you must be putting a major load on the truck. A word of caution, the air springs do nothing toward increasing your load rating. It will prop it up, but no additional capacity.

How much pin weight or load are you adding?

Ken
Old 01-24-2009, 07:37 PM   #17
One Country Boy

I think you will be pleased with the bags Scotty. They will give you that 6 inches of lift and more. It's a good investment. Let us know how you like 'em please.

Old 01-24-2009, 07:42 PM   #18
Radio
Administrator

Oh, by the way, you can't see it in the picture but I used big wingnuts on the u-bolts. That way I dont need any tools to fiddle with it.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:18 PM   #19
jagco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
Oh, by the way, you can't see it in the picture but I used big wingnuts on the u-bolts. That way I dont need any tools to fiddle with it.
Is that about the antenna mount, in the other thread?
jagco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:43 PM   #20
One Country Boy

The Firestone Air Bags are definitely an improvement to the ride. Ride was much smoother on the return trip home.