Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #1
K4EAK

Default Dayton Hamvention

I'm thinking about RV'ing to the Dayton Hamvention in 2013. I've never been to a Hamvention before and it's something I've always wanted to do. It might also be fun to hook up with fellow RVers and compare notes, compare setups, compare antennas, tell lies, and all that.

I see that the RV Service Net guys are planning on staying at the Tall Timbers KOA in Brookville, OH. It looks like besides all camping together, they have daily happy hours and a Saturday night get-together. I have an e-mail in to the FMCA ARC to see if they're planning anything or have a common camping spot, but no word back yet. Maybe their focus is more on the Orlando Hamcation? (I'll update here if I hear back.)

So, how about here? I'm searched this website but didn't see any posts relating to Dayton. Anyone going? Any info on where fellow RVers hang out? Anything else. Any info would be appreciated.

73 Skip K4EAK
K4EAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

There are a numer of RV parks in the area, There is even (Expensive) parking at the convention center (I do not know the "Quality" of those sites (Hookup wise) I stayed in beaver Creek, about 30 miles out. But next time I may stay closer.

Sorry, can't recommend a campground.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 PM   #3
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

In 2012 I stayed at Poor Farmers RV Park. $25/night, electrical and water hookup, no sewer but they have a honey wagon that (for $10 a pop) comes around and pumps out your holding tanks while you're at the Hamvention. Not too bad. Propane unavailable, and it was cold, but I had plenty. Free showers & rest rooms (but I used my own). Nearest laundromat is over 10 miles away.
Old 12-19-2012, 05:14 AM   #4
K4EAK

Thanks for the replies. I did hear back from the FMCA ARC and they do not having any official gathering spot. So, I've made reservations at the Tall Timbers KOA and I'll hang around the RV Service Net guys. I'm excited. This is my first Hamvention.

73 Skip K4EAK
K4EAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #5
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

The one time I went there I parked out at Beaver Creek, about 30 miles east as I recall. But you can park much much closer..

The place is your basic mad house, if you have ever been to a swap and shop multiply b 100 (if it was a big one) to 1,000 (Small one) and you will be darn close. But it is a ton of fun, and well worth the trip.

In 2006 I did the upgrade to General Class (paper upgrade, I was Tech + so I'd passed all the tests) and got my TS-2000 and a few other goodies.

I plan on going back likely in 2014, More for the fun of it than anything.

In addition you have forums and discussions and presentations, You have licensine exams. You have dinners and such "After hours" at various hotels in the area with assoted groups of hams and so much more I can't describe it all.

If you watch either ham nation (http://twit.tv/hn) or AmateurLogic.TV (that is the URL) you can find Dayton episodes,, I recommend you snag them and watch.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote