Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 07-22-2008, 02:05 AM   #1
phredsee

Default Tahoe

Left Santa Clarita area bound for Lake Tahoe via 14, 395, 88 and Kingsbury Grade for a long weekend and had a great time. Stayed at S. Tahoe KOA and really enjoyed the wooded area and CG. Going there was somewhat of a challenge with towing up several grades north of Bishop and not to mention Kingsbury Grade but saw awsome sites along the way.

Couldn't raise too many on the 2m, but managed to talk to a couple of guys coming across Red Rock Canyon Park and was real pleased with the Yaesu FT-8800R unit and using the hood mounted NGP antenna on 152. Got out about 12-15 miles with 1 and I believe longer range on the other, according to my contact. Probably still change the antenna to roof mount when I get some time.

Next trip mid August is Santa Cruz, long weekend and then the big one to Seattle in mid September. Really looking forward to getting away.

Anyway, 73's to you guys and let's hear your trip logs!
09 Honda CR-V
phredsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:04 PM   #2
W6DCS

You are right around the corner from me. I live up Plum Canyon. Glad you enjoyed your trip, I was just up at Camp Edison, wasn't able to raise anyone on 152 the whole trip.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
W6DCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:10 AM   #3
phredsee

W6DCS.....

Yes, we are real close. I'm located at the extreme end of Haskell Canyon Rd. in Saugus, small world. I admire the fact you were able to get in at Camp Edison since I believe (and I might be wrong) they don't take phone calls and reservations have to be in writing, etc.. True? Looks like a great place to camp. BTW, I have (2) sons that live in Plum Cyn, great area.

Real happy with the radio set up right now. I just truck down the road and blurt out my call every few miles or so and occassionally someone will return the call. Do you belong to the Santa Clarita club? I used to.
09 Honda CR-V
Old 07-24-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
W6DCS

If you want to get a spot at Shaver you have to either write or fax in your request. The best way to get what you want is to send a fax in the last week of December. They process those the first week in January. The best part is they don't process them in the order received, they just process them by what is on top of the stack, so you have as good a chance of getting the spot anyone else wants.

When I went up I ID'ed every 15-20 minutes, and heard no one else. What surprised me was that I monitored the Shaver repeater, and 52 while I was there, and talked with 2 locals on the repeater. It was quiet the rest of he time.

I was going to join the local club, not sure how the internal personalities are. I have belonged to some really good clubs, and some that were so politically charged that nothing was done. Until I know how the club runs, I decided to take a wait and see attitude.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
Old 07-29-2008, 01:47 AM   #5
phredsee

I'll try the Shaver request in December. Always sounded great to camp there.

Local club in SC is fine (Santa Clarita Amateur Radio Club W6JW), no agendas and personalities of all members is very lax, friendly and informative. Small group that meets at the city hall on Valencia Blvd., I think Tues nights. I haven't been to a meeting in a long time. My Dad and I used to go until he got sick and stopped going.

Also used to belong to CMRA in socal which became a 1.2 club with repeaters covering about 2/3 of Cal. Unfortunately the pres. passed away, most of us dropped out and don't know if they're still around.

Plan on rejoining W6JW so maybe see you there.

73's
09 Honda CR-V
Old 07-29-2008, 12:05 PM   #6
W6DCS

CMRA - I used to be a member back in the mid 90's. I heard about Mike, N6RHZ, to bad, nice guy and he made CMRA a great club back then. I bought my first 1.2 radio from Dennis, K6RCL when I worked for Santa Barbara. I remember the graveyard shifts and Mike keeping me awake. I also remember I lateraled down to Ventura and had to try and stay assigned to stations that had 1.2 coverage. I dropped out in the late 90's and think the club has slowly faded like many others. I can't find a working web site for them anymore so I don't know if they are still around.
I might join the local club, keep up on what is happening locally, especially since they are a laid back bunch.
Kenwood TM-741A
Yaesu VX-7R
ICOM 02AT
ICOM 04AT
ICOM 12GAT
Kenwood TM-331
W6DCS, ex KC6LKS
Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 PM   #7
phredsee

W6DCS:
Sent you a PM regarding more details about CMRA. Figured it's boring to everyone else.
Talk to you soon.
09 Honda CR-V