Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
Bob W4RAA

Default Echolink

What about starting a net for us RVers using ECHOLINK?
Bob W4RAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 05:45 PM   #2
KB5LJE

Good idea and I would love you input on starting it.

73's

Mike
KB5LJE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 07:05 PM   #3
Bob W4RAA

Default ECHOLINK for RVers

1.We need to pick a night(s) and a time that will work for everyone due to the different time zones.

2. Then a "Host" Echolink user, after we get going we can rotate the user around to give others a chance.

3. Get the word out on this website and the other RV websites.

Good thing about ECHOLINK is that we can use it on the road also. Just need a computer and a WIFI or hard connection.

I am willing to start it off as the "Host"

What say fellow HAMS/RVers?

v/r
Bob
W4RAA
Old 12-20-2009, 08:46 PM   #4
WD8QBQ

I don't know anything about it.
I found this site in the link I have included and will read it over.
Maybe others are in the same position.

http://pub50.bravenet.com/faq/show.p...num=4242854227
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
Bob W4RAA

Default Echolink

Echolink:

ECHOLINK is a communication means that allows Licensed HAMs to communicate over the internet around the world at no cost, it utilizes VOIP (Voice over Internet). To download the ECHOLINK program go to:

www.echolink.org

download it and follow the simple instructions.

You will need a separate microphone to plug into your computers microphone jack or a combination microphone/headset, this is what i use.

After you have it downloaded go to the TOOLS then SETUP section and setup for your preferences, then go to TOOLS then PREFERENCES and select connections THEN limits and set the number of persons that you will allow to talk to you at one time, I have mine currently set to 12.

After you have everything setup go to STATION and CONNECT TO TEST SERVER, This will allow you to setup your microphone level. When you have finished here go to NORTH AMERICA, AREA 4 and look me up W4RAA, Click on my call sign and if i am on i will see you connection to me.

any questions email me and we can call on the phone to get you all up and running.

v/r
Bob
W4RAA
Old 12-23-2009, 07:01 PM   #6
One Country Boy

I'm all for it if I can get it to work. I've used it in the past and it is nice. I think my ISP has some ports blocked because I cannot get it to work now.

Old 12-23-2009, 09:14 PM   #7
KF5BET

Jim:

I am having the same problem...I have read where you have to set the port forwarding...something or another (forget at the moment).... I can receive but cannot send. Still working on it. Has to do with firewall settings for a modem and a router/switch setup!

Will let you know when I get it figured out. Haven't had a whole lot of free time lately.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #8
Bob W4RAA

Default ECHOLINK Problems

You are correct in that some ISPs do not reconize ECHOLINK Host, you have to go into your Firewall and router and tell it to allow the ECHOLINK Host, did it to me the 1st time i tried. Go to the TOOLS, then FIREWALL ROUTER TEST, run the test if it is good it will tell you, if no good it will direct you to a HELP area.

When you get ECHOLINK setup, email me and we will coordinate a "TEST" session.

v/r
Bob
W4RAA
Old 12-25-2009, 07:19 AM   #9
k8zfj

Great...something new to play with ! I got authenticated...now to try to make it work !
k8zfj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
Bob W4RAA

Default ECHOLINK Authentication

Randy:

Good, you have been Authenicated!!, your almost there!! Take your time and play with ECHOLINK, you can not break it! I look forward to linking up with you and others on ECHOLINK.

v/r
Bob
W4RAA
Old 12-26-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
One Country Boy

It says it's my router blocking but I've tried without a router before and it was the ISP that has certain ports blocked. I will check the router to make sure. One user told me he had this same problem and called the ISP, they wanted him to pay additional $$ for them to open the needed port to him. I will see.

Andy gave me some info on this awhile back also.

Attempting to get validated and waiting for the return telephone call. When running the test I keep getting the following:

Firewall Test Results: FAIL
The test successfully connected to the EchoLink server on TCP port 5200. This means that your system's TCP configuration is correct for use with EchoLink.
UDP ports do not seem to be blocked, but the tester did NOT receive a response to some of the UDP tests. If you have a router or firewall installed, be sure its Port Forwarding feature is correctly set. See Help for details.
In the current configuration, you might be able to connect with many of the nodes in the EchoLink system, including the EchoLink Test Server. However, you might experience problems connecting to certain other nodes, or accepting connections from certain nodes. For best results, please enable the Port Forwarding feature of your router, if possible.
There appears to be a router between this computer and the Internet. A router normally requires special configuration for use with EchoLink.
For more information, click the Help button above, or see the Firewall Solutions page on the EchoLink Web site.

I will check the router next, but I don't think that is the problem or is only part of the problem. Will continue to try.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:16 PM   #12
One Country Boy

Default Echolink Up and running!

OK guys, I'm up and running on Echolink. I just worked a mobile in Panama City (about 25 miles away). Had a little problem validating by phone, so paid the dollar to validate via my VISA account. I've used Echolink before, but it was several years back.

I see an AL7RV-R in Alaska. It indicates it is located in a motorhome in Alaska and the radio only has about 2 miles of coverage.

I'm ready when others are. What the sked and connection point?

Old 12-26-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post
It says it's my router blocking but I've tried without a router before and it was the ISP that has certain ports blocked. I will check the router to make sure. One user told me he had this same problem and called the ISP, they wanted him to pay additional $$ for them to open the needed port to him. I will see.

Andy gave me some info on this awhile back also.

Attempting to get validated and waiting for the return telephone call. When running the test I keep getting the following:

Firewall Test Results: FAIL
The test successfully connected to the EchoLink server on TCP port 5200. This means that your system's TCP configuration is correct for use with EchoLink.
UDP ports do not seem to be blocked, but the tester did NOT receive a response to some of the UDP tests. If you have a router or firewall installed, be sure its Port Forwarding feature is correctly set. See Help for details.
In the current configuration, you might be able to connect with many of the nodes in the EchoLink system, including the EchoLink Test Server. However, you might experience problems connecting to certain other nodes, or accepting connections from certain nodes. For best results, please enable the Port Forwarding feature of your router, if possible.
There appears to be a router between this computer and the Internet. A router normally requires special configuration for use with EchoLink.
For more information, click the Help button above, or see the Firewall Solutions page on the EchoLink Web site.

I will check the router next, but I don't think that is the problem or is only part of the problem. Will continue to try.
So what did you do to fix this Jim? I get the same error using this laptop when connecting via the Wi-Fi at camp (NomadISP). When using this same Laptop via my home QTH wireless AT&T U-Verse Gateway, all is OK. I tried to get them (NomadISP) to open the ports throught the camp routers, but I don't think the understood.
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:55 PM   #14
One Country Boy

I hate to tell you this Andy, but after I got it validated, it began to work. When I run the test, it still says it fails but it seems to be working FB.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:28 PM   #15
k8zfj

Bob,
eventually will get there...trying to solve a serial - usb problem for psk31...thio may give up on it soon
will let u know if i get echolink going

Randy
k8zfj is offline   Reply With Quote