Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Default Adding Solar Power

Well, we made a reservation for mid Sept in Yosemite, and since none of their sites have power [and you would think that they would want to get rid of generators running plus the pollution, particularly in the winter time], I got off my duff and rigged the solar array on the Teardrop.

I had previously purchased three panels from Kragen, these are 'battery float panels' good for a total of about 600 mA/Hr in full sun, or just enough to keep the battery topped off if I'm not using the radio a whole lot.

Convienently, 1" pipe hangers fit the roof rack for a nice temporary install - temporary as I hope to find a more suitable panel or panels - something that will give me an amp or maybe two amps. Seems that there are very small panels and very large panels and what I need are two panels about 18" wide but 4' long.

To connect to the battery, I'm using a UHF feedthru fitting and a special set of cables using PL connectors on the end to pass the DC into the trailer battery.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote