Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 09-21-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default I saw something rarely seen

A few days ago I saw something you rarely see anymore. No, it wasn't horse sh** in a garage. A car in front of me had a left turn signal that wasn't working and the driver put their arm out the window to signal a left turn. It must have been someone over 60 years old. I started driving in the early 50's and back then there was no electric turn signal. You had to crank down the window (electric windows were only on a few of the expensive cars) and put your arm straight out for a left turn and vertical for a right turn. You did this in -20 degree weather and in a downpour. So many people are too lazy to move that little lever up or down. It's a guessing game at intersections as to what the opposing driver is going to do. I used to watch cars following me to see if they signaled turns when I did. If they didn't do it then I might make a turn without a signal, and you know they get pi**ed off when you don't use a signal but it's OK if they don't do it.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #2
N3LYT

Yeah the manufactures spent a lot of money to install turn signals USE it! And don't forget to check your campers lights too!
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:07 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I too recall being taught the hand signals for SLOW/STOP, Left and Right (and yes there are 3 different signals though in some states under the Traffic Code only one is recognized.. Just so I do not make a fool of my self I will NOT say which one and make you look it up)

Turn signals are great. as the mud flap says on the SEMI
"Blinky thing means I'm going to turn in that direction"

More folks should learn to use 'em.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:57 AM   #4
ke0me

We live in a university town with a gazillion students on bikes, plus all the biking enthusiast in Colorado.

I can't tell you the number of times I have almost smacked a bicyclist due to blowing thru stop signs, red lights, unannounced turns, no lights or reflectors at night, etc etc etc.

Worst of all, state law says I have to give 3 feet clearance at all times to bike riders, which due to the lane width of the roads means I have to go over the center line to meet the 3 foot criteria. And most of the riders are on the left side of the bike lane, not in the middle.

I have nothing against bicycles in general, but please follow the traffic rules and don't be stupid, I know who is going to be the loser between my 6000 pound truck and your 30 pound bike.
Plus it's always the cars fault and I would be the one getting sued.
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #5
electricflyer

I forgot, an arm pointed down meant you were going to slow down or stop.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:17 PM   #6
N3EQF

Since I moved to Florida, I've been surprised anytime I see a driver actually USE a turn signal! When I do, I assume the driver moved here from somewhere else.
N3EQF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:44 PM   #7
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by N3EQF View Post
Since I moved to Florida, I've been surprised anytime I see a driver actually USE a turn signal! When I do, I assume the driver moved here from somewhere else.
Yah, we got a lot of D**yankees here.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:58 PM   #8
ke0me

I try not to drive at night, but sometimes the sun goes down before I get done doing whartever it was that I did when it was light.
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke0me View Post
I can't tell you the number of times I have almost smacked a bicyclist due to blowing thru stop signs, red lights, unannounced turns, no lights or reflectors at night, etc etc etc.
Dang it, Dick, you've gotta stop doing that stuff before you wipe out one of those college children.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:56 PM   #10
electricflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke0me View Post
In my working years when I traveled the Eastern half of the US I was in Amish country a number of times (Lancaster, PA, NE Ohio etc) and you had to be on your toes driving at night, especially with no moonlight because the Amish rode their bicycles with no lights of reflectors on them, it was against their beliefs to have any bright or shinny objects on any of their vehicles. It was a real surprise when you came over a knoll in the road and there was a bike right in front of you in the dark. The local sheriffs had a real problem because they wouldn't put any lights or reflectors on their buggies. I think they have started to change that with so many of them getting injured or killed by cars and trucks.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:23 PM   #11
Radio
Administrator

We use those signals during the light check when hitching up. Sweet Wife's daddy was a truck driver and she insists the signals be correct.

Here, we have the Atlanta Sneak Attack Stealth Lane Change Maneuver. It consists of turning on, for example, the left blinker, driving a quarter to half mile and suddenly swerve into the RIGHT lane. Then leave the blinker on for another 2 to 3 miles.

Usually see this in low end Range Rovers, BMWs and Mercedes.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote