Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

View Poll Results: The ORR.net Galley Poll
1A I cook outside whenever I can 6 66.67%
1B I seldom cook outside 2 22.22%
2A I use the RV oven often (at least once per trip) 5 55.56%
2B I never use the RV oven, except to store stuff in. 2 22.22%
3A I make coffee with a perculator and I'm not choosy about a heat source. 1 11.11%
3B I make coffee on the stove with a perculator. 1 11.11%
3C I make coffee with an electric coffee maker. 7 77.78%
3D I'm an elitist. I use an expresso machine. 0 0%
4A Gas grills rule! 4 44.44%
4B Real campers grill with charcoal. 4 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default The kitchen/galley poll...

So what goes on in the kitchen at your site?
  • Do you like cooking outside or inside?
  • How do you make coffee?
  • How often do you use the oven in the RV?
  • Do you grill with gas or charcoal?

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Radio
Administrator

If I cook outside, I'm either grilling or doing something in the Dutch Oven. Breakfast is certainly an inside art, as I am seldom appropriately attired to be outside.

Pizza is served on every trip. "Texas Toast" garlic butter toast and biscuits might make the trip, too. So the oven gets used.

We have a 4 cup Mr. Coffee drip maker. We also have a stainless percolator for boon docking.

I have a gas grill at the house. It lights in seconds and there's no real clean up. But charcoal rules the campsite. Probably cause I have to have it for the Dutch oven anyway. And I tried a Roadmate and didn't like it.

Old 10-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #3
N3LYT

French press and a hand coffee grinder. Charcoal, small Weber took the oven out when I remodeled. Agree with the attire, coffee first then clothing.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 08:37 PM   #4
electricflyer

I prefer to fix a meal outside. We have a Keurig coffee maker, since we are not big coffee drinkers, but it is quick, and use a reusable K cup. I haven't used the camper oven yet, everything I have read is that it is best to put a pizza stone over the burner to even the heat out and reduces the possibility of burned biscuits. Have both a gas and charcoal gill, depends how fast we want to eat as to which one I use. Simple fare since I do ALL the meal fixing. I don't like to have a bunch of pots and pans to clean. I talked to a lot of men that do all the cooking. They say when the women cook in the kitchen they get every pot and pan out where the men will use one and when done with that clean it right away and then get something else out to use and repeat, use it and clean it right away. Less to clean when you use a grill.
My favorite morning drink is a big glass of OJ and have it with a Bob Evans sausage and egg breakfast burrito.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 05:41 AM   #5
W5DOK
Old Member

I have a small Weber Baby Q that gets a lot of use. It's attached to the MH propane tank so I don't have to carry an extra tank. We use a Keurig coffee maker because it makes great coffee and my YL likes fruity coffee. She also likes to bake and the MH has a convection oven that gets a lot of use. I agree that when I cook, only 1 or 2 pans get used. When she cooks, the sink is filled with pots and pans. Different perspective, I guess. My RV grosses about 48k and I think that most of that is cooking stuff.
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

Coffee is usually made with an electric (preset maker) in the morning's (I'm the only one who drinks coffee).
Cooking: rarely use the on-board stove / oven / microwave, almost all cooking is done over on or in the campfire (some call it "primitive" cooking) we both like the flavor better, and unless there is a real downpour or high wind is not a problem .
Even at home we cook out doors quite a bit even when the temp's dip below 30F (just takes a bit longer) .
"CAMPFIRE COOKING" does take a bit of practice and planning sometimes but we've found that you can do some mighty tasty meals over an open fire and cook almost anything that you could on a regular stove/oven .
Old 10-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #7
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

I never make coffee at all because caffeine can kill me, and I use an electric grill (George Foreman brand, believe it or not) for grilling. Works incredibly well. I use it indoors and it makes no mess.

I use the conventional gas oven and the convection oven (which is also the microwave) often, for meats and for pies and cookies. I make the world's best apple pie.
Old 10-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #8
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricflyer View Post
I haven't used the camper oven yet, everything I have read is that it is best to put a pizza stone over the burner to even the heat out and reduces the possibility of burned biscuits.

Simple fare since I do ALL the meal fixing. I don't like to have a bunch of pots and pans to clean. I talked to a lot of men that do all the cooking. They say when the women cook in the kitchen they get every pot and pan out where the men will use one and when done with that clean it right away
My oven seems to do OK without a pizza stone. Perhaps because I preheat, so the burner isn't on much while the food is actually in there.

I do almost (95%) all the cooking. Sweet Wife does almost all the clean up. And between my masculine "low pot to food output ratio" and lots of paper plates there's not much to clean up. Generally Sweet Wife will make sandwiches for lunch.

I make the worlds best scrambled eggs and the $9 wok-like no-stick pan I use gets rinsed out the moment I am done with it.

We have coffee daily when camping, only on Sunday at home. Never after 10 a.m. Insulated mugs keeps it warm all morning.

And now I'm hungry.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 PM   #9
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio View Post
I make the worlds best scrambled eggs ...
OK, when we're all in the same place you make breakfast, I'll make dessert. Now then, who's gonna make dinner?
Old 10-21-2014, 05:51 PM   #10
Radio
Administrator

I can't believe no one on here has an espresso machine. Really? Spent all your money on radios?

And on the subject of cooking, anybody in here eat Spam while camping? We only have Spam while camping. It doesn't taste right at home. Don't know why.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:01 PM   #11
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
And on the subject of cooking, anybody in here eat Spam while camping?
Spam? You eat Spam? On purpose?

About five or ten years ago I bought some Spam, just to see if it was as bad as I remembered. It was. I threw it away.

About the same time I also bought a Little Richard album (at a very low price) to see if it was as bad, as dreadful, as unpleasant as I remembered from my teen years. It was. But the 12" LP made a nice 100-yard pistol target. I enjoyed the shooting and the symbolism. Little Richard absolutely defiled the concept of music -- as Spam defiles the concept of food.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:58 AM   #12
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

I have to agree with you Carl , on both the SPAM and "LiL Richard" ! P~~~~~~~

The last time I can think of remembering eating "SPAM" was in 1970 (Phu-Bie, Viet-Nam) , was sent in a "care package" from my sister, was only slightly better than the stuff the "Mess tent" was putting out.
As for the "MUSIC ???? " P~~~~~ .
Old 10-22-2014, 07:28 PM   #13
Radio
Administrator

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
About five or ten years ago I bought some Spam, just to see if it was as bad as I remembered. It was. I threw it away.
Carl, you're NOT supposed to eat it at home.

On one of our trips on the Appalachian Trail we came across a reunion of Thru-hikers at a shelter. They made for some interesting entertainment into the evening. Next morning I made a quart of coffee and fried up a small can of Spam. Both were completely consumed with much gratitude.

Thru-hikers will eat anything.

Now if I want "fancy eggs" I'll stir fry some Spam, onions, mushrooms, maybe some other stuff in the pan before scrambling eggs in there with all that. Sort of a Denver Omelet. Wish I had the knack for making real omelets. The single slice of Spam in a packet lasts all trip.

Old 10-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Carl, you're NOT supposed to eat it at home.
Oh, good. That means I don't have to eat it at all. I'm a full-timer, remember? Wherever I am is home.

As for the omelette, it sounds absolutely delicious.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:10 AM   #15
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Wade:
Omelets are fairly easy, just a matter of Temperature and timing.
Whip up 2-3 eggs in a bowel or cup, pre dice your meat , cheese vegies , what ever.
Use medium heat and I would recommend cooking spray .
If on a conventional stove use a "stoneware" fry pan, preheat the pan, spray, add the beaten eggs and wait about 10 seconds before messing with them.
As soon as you can lift an edge with a spatula and see a bit of color on the under side, add the diced up goodies to half (one side) of the omelet .
With the spatula, flip the unloaded side over on top of the loaded side and gently press with the spatula , then start rolling the omelet back and forth (over) until it's done (color looks good and is firm).
Slide it out of the pan and eat !
It's a bit trickier to do in a cast iron skillet over an open fire but can be done .
Just like CW, takes a bit of practice but the end result's can be quite good.
Old 10-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #16
Radio
Administrator

John...

I'll have to give it a try just to see if I can get it done. I hope my omelet is better than my CW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NN5I View Post
As for the omelette, it sounds absolutely delicious.
Now remember Carl, I put Spam in there!

Old 10-23-2014, 10:01 PM   #17
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Now remember, Carl, I put Spam in there!
Somehow I think Spam might be rather good as a flavoring agent for an omelette. No one would eat chipped beef by itself, either, but a friend once made me an omelette with chipped beef it it. Very tasty. So perhaps Spam would do as well.

Instead of Spam, though, why not cook up some corned beef? My way is to wrap it tightly in several layers of foil and pop it into the oven, eight hours at very low heat (250 degrees). Comes out amazingly tender -- cut it with the side of a fork -- and amazingly juicy and delicious. Totally easy to fix. Keeps well, too, in the fridge while traveling.

If you use a convection oven, set it at 225 degrees instead of 250. Too much heat would make it less tender.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:30 PM   #18
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Eggs over easy on top of Spam, Yum!

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote