Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 12-12-2011, 09:18 AM   #1
One Country Boy

Default CQ CQ CQ all ORR Net Members - K

Good morning folks...

We've been on a short trip, just to get out of the house before Christmas and allow the XYL to do a little shopping in different places. A good trip over to the Valdosta, GA area and have been in Bainbridge for the past two nights visiting with some old camping friends. Up this morning and as soon as we pack things up, we're headed home. Probably will not get on the road again until after Christmas. Looking forward to a trip this winter down to the Keys.

What are your plans guys and gals?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:29 AM   #2
W5DOK
Old Member

Leaving the coast Wednesday or Thursday, going back to the stick house for a couple of days and then on to the kids house in Dallas for Christmas. Back to the stick house for New Years and probably most of the month of January. Momma got to have surgery on her hands in Jan, so we'll be tied down at home for a few days. Hopefully, around the first of February, we'll be heading back to the beautiful Tres Palacios.
Doc
W5DOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 11:15 AM   #3
TXiceman

Generally do not discuss any real plans on the internet, especially associated with something as easy as a call sign to track down the home QTH.

All of y'all have a great time.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 09:20 AM   #4
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I am parked at Catshead Creek RV park and Horse Ranch (3 miles off I-95 exit 49) till Jan 1 or Jan-2,, Christmas with darling Daughter who lives 5-6 miles away next door to Fort King George (Darian) and I do mean next door. Then it's north 1 state to South Carolina till after Easter, then back to Michigan.

If anyone is traveling I-95 and needs an overnight. Runs around 25-28 bucks here, Look for an RV with Lighted front wheels at night (you will understand if you see it) or with the awning extended (I'm parked facing south so I really need that sun blocker in the afternoons) I will be absent on Sat (this week) and Wed of Next (Shopping days) but here otherwise.. Daughter picks us up for Choir and Church (and occasionally other stuff. This is also the "Tallest" rig in the park (HF and VHF vertical antennas are over 25 feet up in the air)
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 AM   #5
One Country Boy

@WA8YXM - You are not too far up the road from us John. Judging from the web site, that a ppears to be a small but very nice park.

@W5DOK - Hope the wife's surery is a success Doc.

@TXiceman - I understand exactly what you mean Ken. I post here, but cease any info on FaceBook when out on the road. Although a security system here and son (a Deputy Sheriff) living across the street, you can never be too careful this day and time. Some folks call it paranoia, I just say it being careful.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 PM   #6
KF5BET

Me, my family and my trusty Mossberg will be here for Christmas. Just Sayin
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #7
TXiceman

At home it is the Beretta 92FS and the Ruger SR9C, both loaded. On the road, it is usually the Ruger with us. And the XYL is a dang good shot as well.

Ken
Base unit...Kenwood TS480HX, LDG AT200 Pro tuner, Eagle One Vertical and Windom 80 meter dipole.
Standard Schnauzer..her call is K9WOOF
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 06:46 AM   #8
One Country Boy

Oh, my my.... Talk of such violence. Aren't those descriptions and model numbers weapons or firearms? They could create "great bodily harm" or possibly even worse. The infliction of damage to one's body could create many problems. Why can't we just all live together peacefully? I think that is a close quote from a very reasonable and well respected Californian. Right after he received a good whoopin' from some poleece type fellers who were later prosecuted, twice as I recall. I just wanted to make sure I understood about those names and model numbers.

Have a great weekend guys and gals. ONLY 6 more shopping days left before Christmas.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:31 AM   #9
One Country Boy

Default Good morning...

I've been up since about 5AM CT. It's a cloudy day here in Florida's Panhandle. The forecast calls for rain, but I don't see any on the radar. A light cold front is just now passing through and it's expected to get a little cooler this evening, but no freezing temps are expected. It's currently 60 degrees, cloudy with a slight 3 mph breeze from the NW.

Have a great day folks will be checkinig back in later.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:33 AM   #10
KG5UN

I envy all of you lucky enough to be "out there" right now!

Seeing how I am just a poor civil servant a few years shy of retirement I will be languishing away on a 24 hour shift Christmas Eve. I will get to spend Christmas day with my family, with the exception of our 23 year old son who is serving in the Army in Hawaii.

Merry Christmas and the Blessings of the Lord to everyone who sees this.

Ed & Lisa Maikranz
KG5UN
Abilene, TX
KG5UN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #11
W5DOK
Old Member

Ed, Thanks for looking out for us. Have a great holiday anyway and send our thanks to your son for his service for us.
Doc
Old 02-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
KE5ZRT
Super Swell Guy

Send a message via Yahoo to KE5ZRT

I haven't checked in here in a while, sorry. My wife and I have been full-timing in our 1987 class A here in Amarillo for over a year now, and we are still happy with our decision. We paid cash for the RV, and we are now workampers so we don't pay rent either. We did this to save money for bigger dreams: ultimately, we want to build an off-the-grid, dugout style, shipping container house. I've spent a lot of time researching the subject over the last year, and I've dumped a lot of $ into my retirement fund in my full time job with Homeland Security. My wife, Terra, is also working full-time, and soon we will be able to start making some things happen. I'm getting excited to get out of the RV and into our new "tiny house".

73 y'all
Extra Class Amateur (Ham) Radio Operator, VE, SKYWARN Storm Spotter, ARES Volunteer, TSA Security Officer, Full-time RV dweller (Amarillo TX for now), webmaster www.PanhandleARES.org, Married to ke5zru!

KE5ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #13
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Good luck to both of you Chris. I've seen a TV show on those container homes, and it looks interesting. Something like a factory built modular stick house, but all steel. Would make for a good ground plane though.
73 and good luck again!
Andy - n1ork

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #14
KF5BET

That's awesome Chris. I have done a little research on the container dwellings as well. There is also quite a bit of information on "tiny houses" as well.

I think I could do it, but I do not think the wife and the girls could. Might get a little cramped.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 06:59 AM   #15
W5DOK
Old Member

Nothing like having a dream and chasing it. Good luck to you and Terra. A little sacrifice now will pay huge dividends later.
Doc
Old 03-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #16
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Pretty new to ORR, glad to see it back. I'm in Portland OR at the moment, having driven the MH from Tallahassee at the first of the year. It's cold, and rains a lot, but I have old friends here. Full-timing, so I'll likely head someplace warmer soon. Anyone here used a KJ7U screwriver on a diesel pusher? Wondering how well the frame works as a ground.
NN5I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 02:42 PM   #17
W5DOK
Old Member

Carl, I use a Tarheel screwdriver on my MH. It's mounted to the ladder with a ground strap down to the frame. Works great.
Doc
Old 03-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
One Country Boy

I've never used a "Screwdriver Antenna". Considering getting one though. I could make a lot more room in one of my bins.

@Carl - How long have you been in the northwest. I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Tallahassee. C'mon back down, it was 80 degrees here yesterday and 77 today. Beautiful wx we are having.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:34 AM   #19
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Country Boy View Post

@Carl - How long have you been in the northwest. I'm about 1 1/2 hours from Tallahassee. C'mon back down, it was 80 degrees here yesterday and 77 today. Beautiful wx we are having.

Well, I'll likely return to Florida often, but not Tallahassee, which to me seemed a windowless prison. I have many non-ham friends in the area from about Orlando down to about Ormond Beach or so. I've lived in Orlando, St Pete, and (in college) in Gainesville, and liked'em all. Also Dallas TX. I expect to meet a friend (WI5G) from the Dallas area at the Dayton Hamvention this year; haven't been to Dayton since 2005 or so.

My plan since going full-time is to travel around, visit Ham gatherings and Judo events (I teach) and certain other gatherings. Bought the MH last August, and it took me through December to get rid of stuff and out of the stick house. Arrived in Portland OR mid-January, where I have old friends. Still learning at 71.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:54 AM   #20
One Country Boy

Carl, that is great. I'm in a little town (or near it) called Wewahitchka. I'm about 23 miles east of Panama City, FL and 25 miles inland from the Gulf of Mexico. Due south of me is Port St. Joe, where I lived for about 28 years, before moving here in 2001.

We just returned from the Okachobe area. We went down to Hardee County (Wauchula) to visit an old high school friend that I had not seen since graduating in 1965. The fellow has certainly aged. I know I still look the same. Hi Hi... I have to say Carl, I much prefer the panhandle and north part of Florida over the southern area. Florida is so diverse, it''s like three states in one. We have spent a little time around the Crystal River area and I have to say, even though it is largly populated by retired New York firefighters and cops, it is a nice area.