Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 04-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default They called down fire from Heaven and broke the chains that bound them

Yeah well that sounds a little dramatic.

When I was a little kid, the First Baptist Church of Mountain View took out a mortgage on the property and remolded the sanctuary. Looked real nice. Cost a lot of money.

Well, they worked and scraped and paid that mortgage off early. Way early. Announced one Sunday morning the place was paid for and debt free, no longer beholden to the bank or anyone else. So proud, they were, they said after the morning service we'd all go outside and "Call down fire from heaven" and burn the mortgage papers.

Being only about 6 years old, I wanted to see this. Really. This is Old Testament stuff and I wanted to see these guys pull it off.

So after the preacher wound up his sermon we all gathered outside, and after some prayer, one of the deacons produced a huge magnifying glass, and after a few minutes the document began to smoke, and smoke some more, and finally "Poof!" actually caught fire. The flaming papers were waved around a bit, then dropped into a waiting bucket.

I thought it right clever.

So I think the next time we take the camper out, I'll bring along a magnifying glass, (a copy of) the loan papers, and invite anyone who'd care to, to come over to our campsite for some Dutch oven peach cobbler and ice cream, and watch me call down fire from heaven and destroy the "Chains that bound me" because today I went to the bank and rearranged some money.

And paid off the camper 3 years early.

Now it's mine and can't be taken away. And I am free of that payment. And I'll drag that thing around behind me till it rots to the frame.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008_1020IndianSprings0005.jpg (92.6 KB, 2 views)

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:24 PM   #2
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Congrats!

But if you think it "can't be taken away" from you, you haven't spent any time around lawyers and politicians. At all.