Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2009, 12:33 AM   #1
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Default N. CA backroads run

Just got back from two weeks in N. California, particularly in the area of the Trinity Alps and Marble Mountains. Remote camp grounds indeed and some of the roads are...interesting and would be a real challenge for the RV brakes - I'm going to post more after I dig the maps out of the car - we had campgrounds almost to ourselves, including two nights ago at Lake Almanor when it was us and the camp hosts in a 100 space campground.

On Trinity, we camped alone in a 50 site campground.

Up high in the mountains we had free camping for three days in one of the best, the others were $10/day.

Naturally, they were all site w/out utility although we had water at all but one of them. Best of all, we were able to scrounge free firewood at a number of sites.

We used our new instant heat propane shower [Zodi - Cabela's sells 'em] for the first time, and boy were we impressed - OK, it's not even a CA low-flow head, but it's hot and oh, so nice to get completely clean every other day or so. We got about 9 showers and still have propane left in the bottle.

I made a few contacts while up there - checking in with the WARFA net - a very good net indeed for the western traveler who can get on 80 meters.

I built a capacity hat for my buddipole and had some fun using it in the vertical configuration - with three radials it loads up very well on 20, and well enough on 80.

I did not take any photos really.

The weather was so good that we used the easy-up only two nights, blue skies and stars were the order of the two weeks in general.

But we needed our added down comforter a couple of nights when we were near the coast...brrr.

More to follow on routes and camp sites.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote