Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
WD8QBQ

Question Computer issue

My wife and I each have laptops in the coach, within the same week we each developed the same type issue, that being. One of the keypad keys became very stiff and requires an focused effort to make it type. L for me and 8 for her. We have never experienced this before after having computers for many years.
We just came off an extended tour out West from Death Valley to the mountains with many days at higher altitude 9000', could this be the culprit.
Any ideas for a quick and easy fix?
My computer is an Lenovo and Barbs is an Asus, each is just over one year old.

JIM
WD8QBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

This may or may not be of help.
Laptop's "BREATH" through the keyboards and exhaust out the bottom and sometimes sides.
If you feel safe in doing this, pull the battery and maybe the hard (only if you are competent to do so) and "BACK BLOW" the air flow path with low pressure( 5- 10 Psi) "DRY" air .
Sometimes you can get a speck of dust in the wrong place.
IF you feel in the least uncomfortable with the above procedure DO NOT DO IT ! , take them to a good puter shop or service center.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:39 PM   #3
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9WLS View Post
Laptops "BREATHE" through the keyboards and exhaust out the bottom and sometimes sides.
Perhaps some of them do, but I've had many laptops apart and never saw one built that way. Every single one I've disassembled drew air from some place other than the keyboard.

Have you got a source of compressed air? Even one of those compressed-air cans sold for cleaning cameras and such would do. Try holding the thing upside down and blowing air all up and down the keyboard, especially around the keys that stick; probably something has got under the button, and maybe you can blow it out. If the thing is upside down, whatever it is can then fall free.

Then stop eating crackers while leaning over the keyboard.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:46 PM   #4
N3LYT

Lot of laptops seem to have key board issues I have a key that I have to hammer pretty hard they are very thin so I guess there is not much space to make them rugged. A lot of the laptops have a DIN connection for an external key board or a wireless blue tooth dongle and key board might be the answer. There is quite a bit of work involved in replacing any laptop key board and they get payed by the hour.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
WD8QBQ

Thumbs up

Well being a big blow hard I opted to try it myself before I invested in an aerosol of air.
It worked on both computers, one puff each.

Thanks for the suggestions.

JIM
Old 10-05-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I will second the 1st post.. With the computer OFF set it "on edge" and use Dry Air (Dust-Off or other brand, photographer's lens blaster that kind of thing) blow out the keyboard, Shake, tap and otherwise "Disturb" it to further loosen crud and blow again.

Suggestion.. Do it outdoor.

I just had that same problem with the wireless KB I use on this laptop (Modern laptop keyboards are all but useless due to that ()*@&#)$@(*# GLide Pad mouse)

In my case.... Low battery. But that only applies to wireless keyboards

Though typed on a Dell Logitech KB wirelessly coupled to a Dell Mini-1010 This is sent via a Samsung Galizy S-3 Model T-999.. Kind of neat.. I just taught my Samsung Yahoo.mail.. I hope.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:15 AM   #7
NN5I
Carl, nn5i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
.... Low battery. But that only applies to wireless keyboards
It's interesting: I use a wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse. I have to replace the mouse's battery about every three months, but the one in the keyboard is still going strong after about fifteen months.

I wonder; maybe the keyboard uses the battery only momentarily when a key is pressed?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:28 PM   #8
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

Yes, I believe that is the case, I too have wireless KB and Mouse and see the same thing.

On of the things I have is a small Ni-Cad battery charging station, 2 gumstick or two AA batteries, it can do one or two (Treats each battery independent) I keep one SOLAR AA Ni-Cad (Got them in a 4 pack at Lowes or Home Depot, only needed 2) in the charger and one in the mouse,, Works well.

On the KB,,, I started having issues with the space bar and the left control.

Turns out I needed to put in new batteries,, Bought the thing last spring LIke march or April and the batts in it were the low quality "Generics" it came with.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
WD8QBQ

Exclamation New problem ----HELP----

HELP

My newest computer problem; Using alo email I can not type an email longer than about 300 characters. It cuts me off, the cursor disappears and nothing happens.

Any ideas for a solution are welcome.

JIM
Old 10-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
N3LYT

What happens if you type the letter in word and paste it? Sounds like an AOL issue.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #11
WD8QBQ

It does indeed seem to be an aol issue. Pasting works fine and my inbox is completely empty.
Old 10-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #12
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

AOL has been problematic for years, my advise ,,,,, DUMP THEM and get a good ISP !