Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 10-30-2014, 09:25 AM   #21
N4MU Papi

Default Not sure yet

The plan is to be able to operate from the LR area (next to TV there's a perfect space to "hide" the rig where DVD used to be) or outside under the awning. (see Forest River Cedar Creek 36CKTS floorplan). No plans to work from the truck per se. I have an Astron 20A that I'll hide in a LR cubbie permanently and will buy another PS for outdoors use. Easier than lugging a PS back and forth. I was a bit concerned about long runs of DC and IR drop under loads.
Antenna will be permanently mounted on truck behind and just below top of cab a bit to the drivers side (stop light and cab window). RV will be wired for easy attachment to antenna stub via the Hitch unbilical and will have additional length of coax for awning ops. Anyway, that's the plan. Right now I have to sell a very nice band saw (Hello Craig's List) and then will make the plunge. I've been inactive for over a decade I guess so this should be interesting. Operate just SSB and CW (CW?). Have no interest in digital modes...used to do that and ended up usually using keyboard CW..LOL. Hope it all works as planned...ahhh...do you hear retirement? Thanks for insights!
de N4MU (first licensed 1961...yes, now you hear retirement I bet)!

“I don't know where I'm going but I'm on my way.” - Carl Sagan
N4MU Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 12:09 PM   #22
AE5TE
Greybeard

I have had a FT-450AT since about 2009 and the rig works great. I just joined this forum because I am shopping for a fulltime RV and at the same time investigating HF radio options for it. Like others say, this rig would probably not be good to use while driving, and it is fairly large. But I think the feature set in this rig is excellent and the size gives it a lot of heft and ruggedness PLUS, the display is big and bright.

I contemplate picking out a bunkhouse style towable and I would probably be installing the ham station in the rear vestibule. I would probably be operating on shore power 90% of the time with a ~2000W inverter generator as secondary, so the relatively high standby power consumption wouldn't be a big concern.

My biggest concern right now is what to do for antennas. I am leaning towards something like a Little Tarheel on some sort of folding mount and perhaps a EARCHI endfed as a secondary when local surroundings will allow it. Another possibility is one of the fiberglas marine HF monopoles fed through an autocoupler. But with spare wire and a basic manual tuner, we can build to suit rather quick and easy for wherever we are, right?
AE5TE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #23
N4MU Papi

Default The Rest of the Story...

Don't think I ever ended up letting you all know what I finally did...
I bought a FT-450D and ended up with a Tarheel 300A with a Breedlove truck bed lip mount. I have it right behind the drivers side cab on the front bed side. The radio ended up in the bedroom on the bureau shelf. Although I don't use things mobile per se (it just sits there with the truck parked next to the fiver) I have to say I am more than pleased with performance. Got one of those MFJ programmable antenna tuners and it works very well also. Oh...I have succumbed to PSK31...Tigertronics SignaLink and Airline Express software...don't use it often (still getting used to macros etc) but have had several contacts at 30 watts. All in all very happy with equipment...now just waiting for the last day of W-O-R-K (I know you're not supposed to cuss online so that's why I spelled it)...Then going to Traveler's Rest Resort in Dade City, FL...sometime next spring. They have a killer ham club/station there too (K4TRR I believe). CU then...and thanks to all replies! 73 de N4MU
(Ignore the Sagan quote...I do now know where I'm going...just not soon enough LOL)

Old 09-23-2015, 07:41 PM   #24
ke0me

I retired a little over a year ago, I recommend it whole heartedly.

We are full timing, and I have to finish getting the station more compact so its easier to set up and take down.

Good luck, and look forward to chatting more when u are retired.
2014 Silverado 2500
currently don't own an RV
ke0me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:04 AM   #25
N4MU Papi

Default Aghhhhh!!!!!!

Oh...you're killing me! Question: Does it just keep getting harder and harder to do ANYTHING useful at work? Yes, I will be happy to spend some qso time with you! Something else...I don't believe I've EVER heard anyone say that he was sorry he retired! I just want to join the group! thanks for inspiration though! 73

Old 09-24-2015, 05:15 PM   #26
Radio
Administrator

BTW, welcome aboard, Greybeard.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 06:29 PM   #27
N3LYT

The Lil Tarheel is a winner I have about 50 countries mobile change the stinger out for a longer one mine is 56" you might lose 6 meters but in my case I didn't care. I picked up a H.S. at a hamfest and rebuilt it that is what I use on the camper when parked. It's an OK antenna but it does not have a turns counter so you have to just wing it I put labels on the mast so I know where it is and just tune it with the radio's meter. I have about a hundred dollars in it so if I had to pay real money it would have been another Tarheel.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 09:55 PM   #28
electricflyer

I use my FT-450 at home and on the road. Mine is a early model, not the real early one with changeable color display, but just after that model. I wish I had the "D" model with the backlit keys, it sure would be easier to work with in my dimly lite spot in the shack but I know where the most used keys are with out lighting it up, just from lots of use. I in no way have used all the features of this little radio. A Yaesu rep told me the FT-450 was a menu driven FT-2000, which has been discontinued. For antenna I use an Eagle One 31' vertical end driven dipole and tune with a LGD 200pro. My FT-450 has a built in tuner but a Yaesu tech said they don't call it a tuner, but rather an antenna trimmer since it won't tune any thing more than 1.7-1. I don't do any HF mobile radio since grounding is a PIA on newer cars and trucks with so much noise and vibration dampening the isolates every piece of the vehicle. I'm too old to crawl around under my truck to hook up ground straps.
Marv
KT4W
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #29
N3LYT

I have no issues with my Tacoma my mount is well grounded to the truck body no other ground have been added. No stray RF and no noise.
N3LYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:59 PM   #30
dreed

I don't know if I should recommend anything as I am just getting back to hf after being off the air for a long time. But what I am putting in to my class b motorhome is a Elecraft KX3 with the 100 watt amp. Both units are small and and I can take out the xceiver and run batt power on a picnic table if need be. We'll see how it all works out.
Dave
dreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:51 AM   #31
N4MU Papi

And the ideas just keep coming! Thanks! If you've read you know I settled on the FT-450D and the Tarheel 300A. I am VERY pleased with both. Not retired yet (next spring) but am full-timing due to having sold the house. In the meantime just having some fun with the rig on PSK31, a little ssb and always seeming to revert to CW for relaxation. Can't buy any other antenna yet until I see where we end up at our FL park. We know we're going to Traveler's Rest Resort in Dade city but until I know which lot and where I may (or may not) be able to hide a Gap Titan DX I can't buy it. Oh well...counting down the days. To Dave (above): Thanks for your ideas...looks like you're headed in a similar direction. Have fun!

Old 11-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #32
NE2I

It really depends how much you move. I don't really move all that much, maybe 3 times a year. I found that I really enjoy radio more with bigger antennas and high performance radios. Rv parks are usually really noisy RF wise and you need as many tools as possible to overcome it. I have an elecraft KX3 PX3 and KxPa100 as my modern rig. I have also a Metron MA1000 amplifier for more power. antennas include a Transworld antenna 2010 for portable when I do quick moves and a hex beam for long stays. Takes more work for set up but the results are worth the work. I also have a small Drake collection that travels along with me (C line) and my trusty TR7A. I also use a Yaesu 857 but its just not as good as the Elecraft. I may reinstall that in the Toad. Point being That you don't have to go small in the RV GO BIG!
NE2I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:10 AM   #33
W9WLS
Senior Blame Catcher

Send a message via Yahoo to W9WLS

TS-2000 report:

Recently it's been a daily player both on 2M and HF.
The CON'S:
1. both on 2M and HF , if you don't run the pre-amp (s) on Rx it's pretty hard of hearing , not saying that this is a bad thing , just stating a fact).
2. Programming memories is a bit troublesome at first , mostly due to the layout of the key's and the way it thinks.
3. I have been told that one can program power levels on a per-channel basis but have not been able to accomplish this as yet.
4. No "Fish-Finder" scope (do miss this on HF).
5. The display uses incandescent lamp's, not led's and is a FIXED color, there is an after market "MOD" to change it to either Green or Blue (I'll go with the Blue when the radio is out of warranty in about a year).

The PRO'S
1. The Mic. input is not picky, it will accept Hi-Z, Low-Z directly (I like this) not like the Icom or Yaesu rig's that use the Electrict-condenser type input that you must have an interface of some sort to make an older mic work with them.
2. Over-all, for a "SHACK-IN-A-BOX" rig it seems to be a good player , on the air report's have been good and I have not noticed any IMD on RX or any other strange thing's that can not be explained or dealt with simply , the filtering work's good and as far as CW goes I think it could be a good player .
3. All thing's considered, I would rate it higher than the FT-857 or the Alenico rig's but not near the IC-7600 or the big Yaesu rig's (but I'm an ICOM fan anyway).

I may find other thing's about this rig down the road but for now that's the report, I still use the 7600 on a daily basis also and still love it, the TS-2000 is a 10 year old design and there have been few up-dates to it , One thing I really do not care for is the lack of "RCA" connectors on the rear deck for amp control and ALC , everything along those lines has to have a special cable that is matched to one of the accessory sockets .

I can't say that the TS-2K would be a great "Camper Radio" but it has a great deal of "flexibility" in one box and yes there are draw-back's to having "all the egg's in one Basket".

Someone else who has one might try taking it camping and give us a "Road Report" , but for the moment it is worth some consideration .
Old 11-10-2015, 01:34 PM   #34
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

I will not give you a specific recommendation but rather a bunch

I use a Kenwood TS-2000, HF, and VHF and UHF all in one, dual receivers (2nd is VHF/UHF only)

Some folks liek Icom, for example the IC-7600 is one fantastic HF rig.

Some folks like Yesau
Elkhart
_________

The only suggestion I'd make is keep it to around 100 watts That way you can use your house battery system to power it.. Of course no problem with a full gallon,, If you have the cargo carrying capacity for the power supply.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote