Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
N7OQ

Default Tested Buddipole with a Tuner today

Well I got out the buddipole and ran some tests with it. I first I installed the long whips without the coils and used the tuner (AH4) and was able to tune 80 to 6 meters but on 80 meters I got way to much RF feed back to the radio and even got a RF burn when I touched the ground wire while transmitting. On 6 meters I also got feed back but not as bad.

I used a field strength meter and adjusted it to 5 on the scale it goes to 10 max. I then installed the coils and adjusted it for best swr without the tuner this time. Well on 40 meters the FS Meter pegged, so the coil without a tuner works better on 40. On 20, 15 and 10 meters it only slightly increased with the coils instead of the tuner.

I then tried it with the coils installed and then used a tuner and I had a lot of problems with RF feed back on 80, 15, 10 and 6 meters. So works better without the coils when using a tuner. It would be nice to try a coax type tuner like the ones that are installed in many rigs.

I thing the Buddipole works best with a Triple Ratio Switch Balun that Buddipole sells as accessory because a center loaded shortened dipole is more in the range of 20 to 12 ohms and the Balum will also suppress the RF better. The Buddipole comes with 6 fairite beads on the coax but I think they need more like 20, a current balun is suppose to have at least that many. What Buddipole does it feed it off center to get a better match that is why one coil had more turns than the other one. I have all the items I need to make my own Balun and plan to make 2 of them on like the one Buddipole makes and UNUN with up to 6 different ratios.

Now I got to work on that filter for my Generator.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Interesting - I use a tuner with my BP [LDG z-11Pro] and the coils - works pretty well, at least it matches very easily - I set it up for the right band and use the tuner just to trim it up.

I just got the TRSB and have not tried it yet, but expect a summer filled with experimentation. I may have to haul along my MFJ antenna analyizer just for grins.
Manual Garcia O'Kely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 10:00 PM   #3
N7OQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manual Garcia O'Kely View Post
Interesting - I use a tuner with my BP [LDG z-11Pro] and the coils - works pretty well, at least it matches very easily - I set it up for the right band and use the tuner just to trim it up.

I just got the TRSB and have not tried it yet, but expect a summer filled with experimentation. I may have to haul along my MFJ antenna analyizer just for grins.
Well I had no problem tuning everything from 80 to 6 meters it is the RF feed back that I have problems with, the tuner is happy. This Icom 706Mkiig is very sensitive to RF coming back down the line the display displays things it shouldn't like the receive IF pass tuning indicator. I did find that when I had a band tuned up with the coils like 40 meters and I used the tuner it worked great and I can use the whole band and no RF feed back problems.

What I will need to do is find a patience Operator some distance away and try different setups and see how the signal will really change. I think you will find it will work muck better with your TRSB. Oh well experimenting it half the fun of Ham radio
Old 03-31-2008, 11:19 AM   #4
Andy N1ORK

Send a message via Yahoo to Andy N1ORK Send a message via Skype™ to Andy N1ORK

Hi Bill,
Never used a Buddipole, but have used 'Hamstick' dipoles fed with 50ohm coax through a LDG Z100 tuner while at camp with pretty good results. Has anyone ever done a comparison between the two on different bands? I think with the BP it would be easier to change bands since all you need to do is move shorting or tap jumpers. With the 'Hamstick' dipoles I have to unscrew them and screw in the different bands. I've pretuned and marked the whips for the different bands to make it a little easier. Never had any issue with RF feedback. The 'Sticks' cost about $15 each (2 per dipole per band (80, 40, 20)= $90) + $10 for the adapter = $100+/-. Much cheaper than a BP but a little more work. Good luck with the testing and 73
Andy - N1ORK

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Andy N1ORK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 05:59 PM   #5
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Hello Andy!

Hamstick dipoles meet many criteria, amongst them, affordable. But they are not very portable when you have a vehicle as small as mine with as little storage. No biggie.

BTW, WRT the hamstick dipole, how about using quick disconnects for the sticks - that would made band changes faster than the buddipole!

I do use Hamsticks on the car.

It's an interesting idea to me to load the BP type antenna with the feedpoint type of tuner. I'm very interested in the experience with the loading coils - I'm considering investing some time in learning how to use the 80 meter coils on all bands with the long whips so I can leave some parts behind!

BTW, I agree with the cost issue on the BP, it's not cheap. I think it's redeeming feature [or justification if you will] is how quickly, easily and well it all goes together, it's a very well integrated package. That and it packs into a backpackable sized package and is completely free-standing with the mast/tripod.

Note that IF you have room to store it, and a way to attach it [like a sleeve on a rear ladder of your RV], you can omit their mast and tripod assembly, use instead the painters pole adaptor and a painters pole as the mast, slip it into the sleeve and you can get it far enough up to be useful - you get a much taller mast for a much lower price.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Andy N1ORK

I keep all the 'Hamsticks' the tripod, coax, rope and 23' telescoping painter's pole in a 5' long canvas zippered holder from an old E-Z-UP, so transport is pretty easy. Never heard of a painter pole adapter. Does Home Depot carry it, or an RV place?
Andy

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 07-10-2008, 11:22 PM   #7
Manual Garcia O'Kely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy N1ORK View Post
I keep all the 'Hamsticks' the tripod, coax, rope and 23' telescoping painter's pole in a 5' long canvas zippered holder from an old E-Z-UP, so transport is pretty easy. Never heard of a painter pole adapter. Does Home Depot carry it, or an RV place?
Andy

Sorry for the long delay: The Buddipole to painters pole fits the VersaTee and is sold by BP, it's a few bucks, and adapts the thread of the VT to the universal thread on painters poles.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:43 PM   #8
N7OQ

I was going to do the Hamstick thing but decided on the Buddipole because it is a nice small package when stored in it tube holder and it covers a lot of bands my Buddipole will cover every band from 40 meters to 2 meters plus I can configure it vertical, horizontal, inverted V, Y or any angle I want to try. With the the larger coil like Manual Garcia O'Kely has you can do 80 meters as well. I can do 80 meters as well if I want to make a vertical with both coils but I have to lay out a counter pose wire. There are a ton of ways to configure it and a very active user group that includes the Buddipole guy's plus it is built so well. I really like something I can experiment with so fits me well.

Right now I'm using the paint pole with the adapter I got form the Buddipole store but plan on buying the tripod so I can get the antenna away from the RV some times there are just to many trees around the trailer. I bought extra coil taps and install taps for each band before I put it up and use different colors for each band like red for 20 green for 40 etc.

One for the items I fine the most valuable is my antenna analyzer I can move the coil tap across the coil until I get a good match then screw in the tap. Makes tuning the antenna fast especially when I'm trying a configuration other than a dipole. Plus if the swr changes on the analyzer when you touch it then not touch it then you know you are getting RF feeding back down the outer shield of the coax.
Old 07-11-2008, 05:36 AM   #9
Andy N1ORK

Thanks Manual. I'll have to check it out at BP and see if it will suit my needs.

SkyWarn, CERT, EmComm
Old 07-11-2008, 08:23 AM   #10
w7wv

I am surprised you are using the AH-4 for a center fed dipole.
If I am correct that's what the Buddipole is?
The AH-4 is really looking for a random length end fed wire. They say in the manual that 23' is ideal for 6-80 meters.
Just curious, what are you doing to fed the Buddipole? are you center feeding it with the antenna lead from the AH-4?
w7wv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:08 AM   #11
N7OQ

I don't use the coils then I have the tuner connected. I use twin lead from the tuner to antenna plus I'm using the optional long whips. Tunes very well even on 80 but not sure how well it really radiates on 80. It really makes it a lot easier to change bands without having to change the coil taps and whip lengths. When I go camping for a week next month I will be able to test it better.