Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2014, 10:22 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Checked out some state parks SW of ATL

Myself and DW checked out a couple more RV campsite possibilities. First we went to "Chattahoochee Bend State Park" north west of Newnan, GA. This park is definitely off the beaten path next to the Chattahoochee River. It has 26 RV sites with 8 of them being pull-thru's. It is only a couple years old so it doesn't have signs of neglect. The parking pads are asphalt. I don't think they are perfectly level but close enough that leveling blocks probably wouldn't be needed. Hookup are water and electric. The lady at the sign-in building said they are in the process of adding cable. OTA TV reception is probably limited since it is a lot lower elevation than the surrounding area. Nice check-in building with a small store (no groceries) to sell a few accessories you may have forgotten and other goodies like sweat shirts, coffee mugs and other GA memorabilia. I got a annual senior pass for free admission to all the state parks for $35 that includes one free night of camping. Seniors get a 20% off of regular camping fees which is normally $28 so a $5.20 discount. Not a touristy area but a good place to relax in fact there isn't anything around for at least 20 miles. Lots of walking trails for the hearty. Lots of empty sites so no problem getting a reservation. Very nice roads in the park.

Next, F.D R (Franklin Delano Roosevelt) State Park just east of Pine Mountain. The largest state park with over 9,000 acres. Nice setting on Pine Mountain. A small dammed up lake in the camping area. They state there are 109 campsites but probably over half are for tents only. The RV sites are two different lengths, 25' and 40', which are around half and half for those lengths with a fair amount of pull-thru's. Generally good hard surface/packed gravel pads and the majority look to be level, water and elec hookups. A nice setting with close access to Warm Springs "Little White House" area and town of Pine Mountain. Both towns are a little touristy so for the ladies can have an opportunity to get some new old junk for the house/RV. Same standard cost for camping. There is a swimming pool in the park but not close to the camping area called "Liberty Bell" built back in the 30's by the CCC. As the name implies it was the place where FDR relaxed in the medicinal warm springs waters. A large swimming pool in the town of Warm Springs which may be in use or may not, I haven't checked it out lately. It was where FDR was treated for his polio rehab. Cheaper than multimillion dollar trips to Spain or Africa. Nice views off of the top of Pine Mountain along Hwy 190 looking down into the valley to the south.

I wouldn't mind setting up in either of these two state parks. I plan to be checking out more state parks during the year. I'll get photo's next time.
Marv
KT4W
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote