Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-03-2015, 04:09 PM   #1
electricflyer

Default Stupid Drivers

There are a couple things that drivers don't do that make me wonder how they keep from being in an accident or causing an accident. With over 4.5 million miles looking out the windshield and no accidents I wonder how smart some of these people are.

#1. Not turning on headlights at twilight or rain (snow, fog). First, the Georgia law says headlights on during rains or any time you wipers are on. You can't be pulled over for the offense but if you're in a accident you can be ticketed then. Lights are also required to be turned on 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise (federal law). I think they feel they can see just fine during twilight so they don't need them on but the reason for turning the lights on is to be SEEN not to aid the ability to see traffic.

#2. Not using a turn signal! I have always been in the habit (if you want to call it that) of using a turn signal, even if there is no other traffic around. All 3 of my children do the same, I guess there were paying attention when they were riding around in the back seat. I've been driving for over 60 years and started when there were no turn signals. Hand signals were used and you had to roll down the window (before power windows) and stick you arm out in below zero weather, snow and rain so it took extra effort to signal a turn (or a stop). Thus I appreciate that little stick on the left side of my steering column. How many times have you been at a 4 way stop and had some jerk make a left turn in front of you just as you started to move ahead. I like to know what other drivers intensions are so I can act accordingly. I have tested some drivers behind me by watching to see if they use their turn signals making the same turns as I do. If they don't use a signal then after a few turns I make a turn without a signal and you know that really pisses them off.

#3. Seat belts. I have always used seat belts from the first car I owned that had them. Granted, lap belts weren't very effective but still saved a lot of lives. I just heard on the radio that an 11yo child died in an accident not wearing a seat belt as well as a driver not wearing a seat belt. The driver was not killed but that is probably because of an air bag but not working as well for a small person. How stupid is that.
electricflyer is offline   Reply With Quote