Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
N7OQ

Default Just don't feel the pride

I got a email from a guy I work with and he told me he just got his extra ticket. Now I'm happy for him but on the same token it makes me feel like my ticket is not much of a accomplishment anymore. This guy has only make a few HF contacts sense getting his General a few months ago he could not fix a radio, could not help someone get setup and is a newbe all the way. But it is so easy to get a Extra ticket now (all you need is a good memory) that anyone can get one. I know the code was old and outdated and lot of people wanted it gone. But with the code you had to work at it to get a ticket and you might have to take the test a few times to upgrade but when you got the new upgrade you felt good and you felt like you accomplished something.

I feel things started to go down hill when the FCC stopped giving the tests and VE's started to give the tests. There is to much room for cheating and I know a few that got tickets when they could not even copy 2 wpm and one even became a VE himself. Maybe I should not feel this way but I just can't help it, I worked hard to get my tickets the code was not easy but fun after I mastered it.

I have a solution, why don't we get the FCC to stop giving out the question pools, make the test harder and change the test questions all the time so the tester needs to know how to do the formulas not memorize the answer plus make the FCC give the tests again. OK I'll stop ranting now.
Licensed in 1978 ex N7AFX, DA1VW, KK6GR
N7OQ is offline   Reply With Quote