Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Open Roads Radio forum for Ham, Amateur Radio and RV camping

Old 07-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #1
Radio
Administrator

Default Gulf coast travel: Where the oil will be.

If you are planing a trip to the gulf coast you may find this of interest:

Found this article on the NOAA website. Makes interesting predictions as to where the oil is going to wash up, and what the mitigating factors might be.

http://response.restoration.noaa.gov...p?entry_id=815

Also quite a number of interesting links on that page about emergency response and other such things.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
One Country Boy

We're staying this week on Mexico Beach in the Florida panhandle, adjacent to Tyndal Air Force Base. No oil on the beaches here. Pretty as always and pretty hot.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
wa8yxm

Send a message via AIM to wa8yxm Send a message via Yahoo to wa8yxm Send a message via Skype™ to wa8yxm

The latest news, if you can believe network news, is that the oil is all gone, either vacuumed up or eaten by bacteria or broken up by chemicals dumped in the water to break it up and it's no longer a problem.

IF, that is, you can believe what you read.
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:22 AM   #4
One Country Boy

I don't think it's all gone. I'm told there is a fairly large patch several miles west of us on Tyndal AFB. The locals like to keep it quiet for the tourism business and the local TV stations normally cooperate with them.

I think much of it has broken up, maybe from the chemicals that were disbursed. Much of it from wind and wave action. Today is the roughest we have seen the surf on the beach. This is due to TD-5 that just passed south of us.

I think there is still some oil patches out there, but good ole Mother Nature has done her job as usual. The stuff you see in the photo is seaweed, not oil.

Now how did that little fellow get in there? Just had to brag about my little GrandSon Easton, a future amateur operator.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0026 (Small).jpg (38.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0028 (Small).jpg (28.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF0006 (Small).jpg (25.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 08-12-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Radio
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
The latest news, if you can believe network news, is that the oil is all gone, either vacuumed up or eaten by bacteria or broken up by chemicals dumped in the water to break it up and it's no longer a problem.

IF, that is, you can believe what you read.
I'll tell you what I don't believe: That anyone knows exactly how much oil was lost into the Gulf. I can only say that each report the amount was a little more, and more and more until I lost count.

I don't believe the spill was as large as some would like us to believe.

I do believe, if we have the money, we will go back to Dauphin Island (Mobile Bay) this winter, as we have for the last few years. Water is too cold to swim in anyway.

KU4OJ "Wade" Ships Captain, CFO, Chief Engineer
KG4DQQ "Kathy" 1st Officer, Navigator, Best Friend
2007 F-150 SuperCab - 2009 Rockwood 8280SS
Lot's of mostly Kenwood stuff

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
KF5BET

Looks nice Jim...We were going to go back to Grayton next month but the girls have decided that they would rather go to Disney...So that's where we are headed in a couple of months.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 05:59 AM   #7
One Country Boy

We've never been to Grayton but I understand it's very nice. All the beaches along the Florida panhandle are nice, well from Cape San Blas to Pensacola anyway. The sand is "sugar white."

We're suppose to check out of here Saturday morning but may leave this afternoon. The tropical depression that passed Wednesday really has the surf up. It is roaring and has been for 2 days now. I don't see how any oil could hold together in this type of wave action. Mother Nature at work I guess. I heard Rush Limbaugh say the other day, when speaking of the oil in the Gulf, "Mother Nature is God."

When you start to Disney, let me know. You will probably be traveling by I-10, if you want to take a break and it's convenient, we'll grab a bite to eat or a glass of tea around Marianna.

Old 08-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #8
KF5BET

Sounds good Jim. We are planning on going the second week in December. Will let you know more later.

Grayton just opened up a new addition last year which has full hookups. They were opening up the sites the day we drove in.

Love the pictures you posted. Grayton's beaches look about the same way. Sure hope the oil doesn't hurt the industry too much. We are all still holding our breath over here about the moratorium. It will hurt us pretty badly if we don't get back to drilling pretty soon.
Kendra - KF5FYS dd
Maggie - Cat chaser
2005 F250, 1996 Nomad
KF5BET is offline   Reply With Quote