PDA

View Full Version : Who said this?

NN5I
06-04-2013, 11:08 PM
How many of you remember this famous line?

"You've done enough. Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"

The man who said it (to Senator Joe McCarthy, on national television) is a personal hero of mine for saying it. Can any of you tell me, off the top of your head, who he was?

It led to the downfall of McCarthy, in my opinion one of the most despicable bullies ever elected to the U S Senate.

TXiceman
06-05-2013, 08:06 AM
I cheated....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_N._Welch

Ken

NN5I
06-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Yup. I have an audio recording (mp3) of the whole exchange, a little over 12 minutes. I listen to it from time to time. Joseph Nye Welch was a courageous and true gentleman.

TimeToGetGoing
06-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Since we have the answer...I looked up Judge Welch...he was the "actor" that played the judge in the movie "Anatomy of a Murder".

Bob
KV4MJ

NN5I
06-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Interesting -- I Googled Joe Welch, and watched the whole exchange (and much more) on YouTube. Among other things, I corrected an error in my own transcript. I guess I ought to have realized it would be on YouTube, but the thought had never occurred. That's the trouble with being an ancient codger -- thoughts occur less frequently every year. Currently I'm down to about one a month.