PDA

View Full Version : Metal shop!!

Radio
08-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Awl, set, scribe, bucking bar, counter sink, bit, brake and shear.

I'm in sheet metal school for 2 weeks. I have not felt so inept at anything since I took piano lessons in first grade. But I'm the one who asked for the class, since my metal working skills, well, I suck at metal working. Well, so far I just suck at setting rivets. Tomorrow I get to suck at bending stuff.

I did notice the noise the rivet gun makes as a rivet is properly set sounds remarkably like my father snoring.

After school is out I go back to work for some overtime. Busy and tired.

NN5I
08-28-2013, 09:12 PM
You gonna build an RV-6? That's a kind of RV I'd like to have. I flew one once; nice airplane.

Rivet setting; bending; cool. Do they also teach you slip rolling and English Wheel and bumping?

Radio
08-29-2013, 07:39 AM
I don't think you want me working on airplanes just yet. :bag:

I am better at taking things apart (which has to be done properly, and there is an art to that) than I am putting things together.

After 4 days of struggling the instructor walks over and says "Wow, your (air) drill motor is worn slap out. Let me get you a new one."

:wall:

Everything seems so much easier now...

NN5I
08-29-2013, 08:15 AM
I am better at taking things apart

As concerning taking things apart, here is a favorite quote, from William W. Hughes:

There is no problem which cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

W9WLS
08-29-2013, 11:30 AM
As concerning taking things apart, here is a favorite quote, from William W. Hughes:

There is no problem which cannot be solved by a suitable application of high explosives.

Sounds perfectly reasonable to ME !

KF5BET
08-29-2013, 10:15 PM
I took metal shop in high school...really loved that class but man my sheet metal toolbox turned out pretty badly. Did better at stick welding though :)

wa8yxm
08-30-2013, 06:37 AM

Tjopught that was Jamie on MythBusters... Seems his favorite chemical compound is #4.

(Just on the off chance nobody gets it.. C-4)

Radio
08-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Rivet setting; bending; cool. Do they also teach you slip rolling and English Wheel and bumping?

Well, they taught us joggling. We have a joggling machine, which is not at all like a treadmill which would be a jogging machine.

We also learned to use a Piccolo machine, which is unlike flutes which are the twisty things on a drill bit. The Piccolo I am told will do anything an English Wheel will do, including making a dog bowl out of a flat piece of aluminum. We didn't make dog bowls.

What we are making is a 10" x 10" section of DC-9 fuselage. Really.

NN5I
08-30-2013, 08:59 PM
I had to google those. Joggling looks like a way of bumping with mechanical power instead of elbow grease. Maybe joggling and bumping are actually synonymous?

Piccolo machine was completely new to me. Maybe I ought to sign up for a course!

Radio
09-06-2013, 07:59 PM
Well, you will all be pleased to know I have "graduated" sheet metal class with a score of 94. Finished all the "lab" projects with 30 minutes to spare in the 2 week class.

But I still wouldn't fly on an airplane I built. An airplane I patched perhaps, but not built from scratch. Still need a little practice.

NN5I
09-06-2013, 08:10 PM
Super. Now I need you to make me a new cargo-door-bottom molding, also sometimes known as a "waterfall molding".

wa8yxm
09-07-2013, 05:54 AM
Just remember when flying it is very important to make sure safe landings = takeoffs. But the fact is, Landings will ALWAYS = takeoffs, The Safe part is the hard trick.

Oh, if if you get on a plane with someone named Heise, be he pilot, crew or passanger... AVOID CAFFEINE. You won't be needing it.

NN5I
09-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Any landing is a good landing if you can walk away from the airplane.

If you not only can walk away but also can use the same airplane again, it's a great landing.

Radio
09-20-2013, 07:39 AM
On about the last day of class this guy walks up tp me and says, "Man, my left arm is killing me from riviting all week. What about you?"

Me "My arm is fine, but then my rivits suck, so I'm probably not doing it right."

:cow: