PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Holiday Weekend

electricflyer
05-25-2016, 09:33 PM
Looking at the Passport America newsletter they said AAA is predicting the travel traffic to be the heaviest since 2005. I will be staying in the S&B that weekend. Campgrounds will be a zoo and towing a trailer in crazy traffic isn't something I want to jump into. During my working years I endured a lot of holiday traffic. I have over 4.5 million miles looking out the windshield and have traveled extensively everything east of the Mississippi River. I remember one year I was going to call on one of my dealers on the Delmarva Peninsula and took the Chesapeake Bay Bridge east from Annapolis (Hwy 301)on Labor Day Monday. Very little traffic going east but that is basically the last long weekend of the year for going to the beach and at that time there were toll booths going both east and west. The highway was 4 lane divided and I drove past 30 miles of vehicles stopped dead (2 lanes wide). I imagine some of those people packed up and headed back at 5:00pm and didn't get home until after midnight. Everyone was headed home at the same time. They have since remedied the problem and got rid of the westbound toll booths and just doubled the toll going east. Now there is no stopping at the west end of the bridge.

NN5I
05-25-2016, 10:45 PM
I will be staying in the S&B that weekend.

S&B? Wozzat?

wa8yxm
05-26-2016, 11:25 AM
Well.. Gas prices are down lower than they were in 2005.. In fact I'd have to research to find when they were last this low prior to 2009. Now that we have had several years of decent gas prices there is a very good chance they will again clime in the near future, before next memorial day in fact... I suspect many wish to get their traveling done BEFORE that happens...

Radio
05-26-2016, 03:04 PM
S&B? Wozzat?

If I were to guess, Sticks and Bricks. Meaning a house. If I were to guess.

Not assuming here, cause we all know what happens when you assume.

Radio
05-26-2016, 03:06 PM
One year due to impossible work schedules Sweet Wife and I spent Memorial Day weekend at a nice state park. It was either that, or no camping at all. Since the camper was still pretty new we thought we'd go.

Never again.

The crowd was just too big. Nice, well mannered, but just too many folks.

NN5I
05-26-2016, 03:14 PM
... too many folks.

You forgot to bring an M2HB, or M1917, or M1919A4, or M1918A2, or even an M2 carbine.

ke0me
06-05-2016, 10:10 PM
We spent Memorial Day moving out of our apartment and back into the RV. Took a load of stuff down to Denver towing a U-Haul on Thursday before the madness began.

I was exhausted after that so we just chilled out at the CG. Was pretty quiet, mostly people out to be on the lake and go fishing.

wa8yxm
06-06-2016, 08:53 AM
You forgot to bring an M2HB, or M1917, or M1919A4, or M1918A2, or even an M2 carbine.

Naa you do not need anything that drastic.. Just a TUBA or a set of Bag Pipes to leave on the picnic table and your neiborhing sites will be free and clear and open for your entire stay.. Don't have to play 'em. (Though in truth I like listening to well played Pipes) Just Display 'em.

NN5I
06-06-2016, 11:27 AM
Naa you do not need anything that drastic.. Just a TUBA or a set of Bag Pipes to leave on the picnic table and your neiborhing sites will be free and clear and open for your entire stay.. Don't have to play 'em. (Though in truth I like listening to well played Pipes) Just Display 'em.

In my case I could just sing.

Radio
06-06-2016, 04:03 PM
See if you can read the little sign attached to the site number post.

:whistle:

NN5I
06-06-2016, 06:16 PM
Can't read all of it, even after PhotoShopping.

ke0me
06-06-2016, 09:35 PM
Looks like "NO TUBA PLAYING".

I want to know about the antennas on the trailer. Stacked 2M yagi's?

NN5I
06-06-2016, 10:12 PM
Looks like "NO TUBA PLAYING".

Yeah, read that -- but what's the rest of the sign say?